another casting leader question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by nxtbgctch, Feb 26, 2009.

1. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Sorry I would have done some searching but cant seem to get the thing to work.

Basicly I have an accurate 870 spooled with 80lb power pro and I would like to add somewhere from 5-10 feet of 80lb seaguar flouro to it. Itll be mostly for jigging and casting poppers and other lures. How much of the flouro can I get away with without hurting casting distance and what knot would be the strongest while also passing through the eyes smoothly for casting?

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

PR Knot, Mid Knot, or use a wind on leader and join via loop 2 loop. 10-15 ft of leader would be ideal.

3. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

What size fish are you targeting?

4. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

What size fish are you targeting?

Gulfcoast. Everything from blackfin and yellowfin to big AJs around rigs down to casting for mahi on a rip.

I've been using the setup but wanted to get away from the spro swivel.

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I am told for fish over 80 # you need to learn to tie the pr knot. That is Page Ranking knot. You can go to utube and search it out. I personally fish the spider hitch in the braid and the albright with a 3 turn uni lock to attach the mono or fluoro to the braid.

6. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. Are there any of them that could actually be tied on a rocking boat?

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. Are there any of them that could actually be tied on a rocking boat?

I tie the pr knot on a rocking boat all the time. Its just like every other knot, once you learn it and master it you can do it any time

d-a