Another Accurate 665-2 speed problem

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Drifter, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

For those readers calling us "whiners" for voicing our Accurate reel concerns on public forums, please don't continue reading this thread to avoid being offended.

History - I've had this 665 2speed for about 1 1/2 years. Brand new, I sent it back for poor lever drag ramp up. With strike set at 20lbs, ramp up drag started at 14lbs. Reel returned repaired. About 100 fish later, sent it back to repair the low speed function - it would continue to slip back into high gear. Accurate performed a full check and service maintenance at this time. Reel returned, first trip out caught maybe 20 fish and it worked great. 2nd trip, the clicker sounds like a wounded duck and sometimes there is no clicker. It's fully operational but I'll need to send it back when I get a chance (between offshore trips).

I recently purchased a used 665N 2 speed - guess what - the drag ramp up starts at 12lbs when strike is 17lbs of drag. Reel works great and I love it, but I'll need to send it back to Accurate.

I have no doubt Accurate will resolve my reel issues and provide excellent customer service.......at my expense. I've set aside a small budget to cover these "fixes" until such time as I've had enough and switch to another brand.

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Louis you are too rough on your equipment. LOL

d-a

3. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Knowing about all the problems with Accurates especialy 665 2 speeds, why would you buy a used one? And when you bought it why didn't you check the drag?? I wouldn't blame accurate, I'd blame the guy who sold you a broken reel-JMO

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Knowing about all the problems with Accurates especialy 665 2 speeds, why would you buy a used one? And when you bought it why didn't you check the drag?? I wouldn't blame accurate, I'd blame the guy who sold you a broken reel-JMO

Mostly be cause It was a good deal(assuming), and Accurate will stand behind there reels and fix them forever. Now that they know what the problems are its easy to fix.

All reels have problems, Its the customer service that makes them good reels.

d-a

5. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

stresst - I keep hoping the reliability of the expensive accurate reels will kick in...I'm still waiting :(

I purchased the 665N from someone on this board who I've fished with several times and I've seen how well he cares for his equipment. I'm not sure how the reel drag was fished before I purchased it but I've found through discussions with other lever drag fishermen that they seldom check the drag at the low end (for ramp up). They simply set the drag desired at strike. Accurate on the other hand, is aware of the ramp up issue and as D-A stated, they know how to fix it.

I don't see the purchase of any more Accurate reels in my future....

6. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I was unaware that accurate would warranty a seconhand reel. I have/had a few 197,270 and 870's all with no problem so far that is-knock on wood!

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have an older 665 2 speed that I sent in for the same problem. My new 665n does not have this problem. I think maybe since they figured out how to fix it they did...
    I am not partial to any reel manufacture. But I will say for the most part I have had less problems with the 3 accurates that I own than my other brands minus shimano...

8. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

My new 665 2 speed broke on first trip. After catching a couple AJ, the high gear started making very loud grinding sound. The drag lever is hard to move in high drag setting. I'm very disappointed with my 600 new reel. :mad: I'm not going to buy any more accurate reel until they resolve the problems.