Angled rod holder for Big E trip

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Drifter, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Does anyone use an angled rod holder while on an offshore head boat trip? I'm thinking of buying one for my Big E 52 hr trips. It would hold my bottom fishing Avet 30 w/ SS rod allowing me to jig with another rod while waiting on the "big hit". The angled rod holder would fit inside the boat rail rod holder to give the rod an angle pointed maybe 35 degrees. Cabela's has a "Flush mounted rod holder combo" but the rod holder is made of a hard plastic type material - I couldn't trust it to hold my expensive rigs.

I'm looking for some recommendations based on what others use.

Thanks!

2. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

The have some on the dolphin and la pesca welded steel.
    They are nice, but i wuldnt trust it with anything other than the boat rigs without a leash.

It worked for me on the 40hr, only cuz i was lazy though.
    caught a bigg king.

The rod(s) in the holder(s) is/are in one of the angled holders

Attached Files:

3. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

iF YOU DO GET ONE MAKE SURE THE CLAMP WILL GO AROUND THE RAIL OF THE BOAT YOU ARE FISHING FROM.

4. tattoo

tattoo Guest

I have not seen anybody using angle holders. The main thing is when tuna fishing you may have to take a trip up and down the side of the boat and somebody's second rod will be in the way. They ask that you only fish 1 rod at a time. While they bottom fish. you might be able to fish a drift line if you are on the back of the boat.

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I had one built for the last big E trip.

It held a 9/0 130 class rod well.

I'll upload pic soon.

I went over to the bigE before the trip and took some measurements.

I'll supply these also.

Kevin

6. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

i have only been on one big e, but someone not manning their rod could be a big problem when the bite is on. i could see someones rig getting damaged and a tangled fish. if their is not a bunch of action, then deckhands can help pick up your second and maneuver. last year's tbb, it would have been a problem, imo.

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Well said jt2hunt.

I don't see the need to fish 2 rods at once. JMO.

8. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I figured there might be an opportunity early morning when most fishermen might be sleeping that I could go to the bow - away from everybody - and set up a bottom rig while I continue jigging. Of course, if there's no room then I would certainly fish only 1 rod as I have no intention of interfering with anybody's fishing. Clearly if the Tuna bite is on, I'll be there with it!!! :)

Thanks for the feedback!

9. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

The bow is crowded with Popper fishermen, a very popular spot. If you go to the bow, wear a helmet and take some dykes in case you get hooked.

If you really want to fish two rods(not recommended), the best place is on the middle of the boat on the chunking side.

If the tuna are biting, no one will be sleeping!

Tom - DBG

10. TOO

TOO Senior member

The bow is crowded with Popper fishermen, a very popular spot. If you go to the bow, wear a helmet and take some dykes in case you get hooked.
    If you really want to fish two rods(not recommended), the best place is on the middle of the boat on the chunking side.

If the tuna are biting, no one will be sleeping!

Tom - DBG

You might want to reword this, or is this a result of the google ads that showed up on your screen a while back? :D

Biggest problem on party boat charters, besides them just taking your money, is the large number of people equal crowed conditions. As mentioned, having an unattended rig while a bunch of folks fishing is asking for trouble. Just a fact of the party boat scene.

When they deep drop during the day, you might be able to have an unattended rig, if you discuss it with the folks fishing around you. Let them know what you would like to do and maybe offer to let them tangle with the second bite after you catch something really big. Talking to the others like that can get you an opportunity to fish like you were thinking. I've done that when I used to fish bluewater.

Done it several times on open trips; explained my idea to the fishermen around me and the deckies, had a heavy weight that held the bait straight down and offered to let the guys, and one time a woman, fishing near by to pull in any fish after I caught my "biggie".

Caught a nice AJ, and the next two bites were taken by others near by, both were broke off on the wreck we fished. The gal then caught a very nice 35 lb AJ after the two broke off!

All it cost me was some line and some conversation afterwards about what type of fish it was that broke the line, what to do to keep from breaking off, etc. Matter fact, one of the guys has become a regular customer of ours due to offering him a chance to pull on some mean thing down deep.

Communicate to the folks around what you would like to do, it may be feasible to a degree. Hope this helps!

11. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Sounds like it may not be possible to fish a second rod. Great suggestion TOO. I'll keep an eye open for an opportunity and be sure to discuss with those around me and the deskhands. Thanks!

12. ALW

ALW Senior Member

There is almost always some one going around the boat with a fish on during the good bites. They should put a stop to unmanned rods.

I am taking a small set of bolt cutters incase some one sets a hook in me.

13. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

This rod holder was built to soak baits mid ship while deep droping during the day time. I am in agreement with others that tending to one rod or one type of fishing at a time is the best practice. I wouldn't suggest jigging and chunking or deep dropping and flat lineing at the same time. After many 2 to 3 day trips from Fla to TX I relised I was not enjoying the bottom fishing after an all nighter on my feet jigging and casting. The intent of this holder was (and it worked well) was to let me send down a circle hook rig, sit down and wait for the rod to load up. Al so when the boat moved from spot to spot
    the rod holder can be set parallel to the rail and out of the way.

The deminssions to fit the Big E rod holders and rail are.

Vert pipe support 22" 1.5" OD max.
    Horz support 1.25" to 1.5" angle iron, 30" lenght centered 10" forward and 20"
    aft of the vert support.
    Angle of of holder 30 to 35 degree's
    Notch bottom of vert support 1\4" x 4 to fit gimble pin inside of rail rod holder.
    (Big E gimble pins are set 90 deg to the rail)

notice rod but support plate and rod but retaining strap.
    Also notice forward velcro rod strap and lanyard to secure holder to rail.

Accutate power handle and electra-mate crank assist were added to the 9\0
    along with FINS 130 lb DEEP DROP high abrasion coated braid.

Attached Files:

14. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Earlier in this thread I said I would post info about an aluminium holder I had built for and used on the BIG E.

This rod holder was built to soak baits mid ship while deep droping during the day time. I am in agreement with others that tending to one rod or one type of fishing at a time is the best practice. I wouldn't suggest jigging and chunking or deep dropping and flat lineing at the same time. After many 2 to 3 day trips from Fla to TX I relised I was not enjoying the bottom fishing after an all nighter on my feet jigging and casting. The intent of this holder was (and it worked well) was to let me send down a circle hook rig, sit down and wait for the rod to load up. Also when the boat moved from spot to spot
    the rod holder can be set parallel to the rail and out of the way.

The deminssions to fit the Big E rod holders and rail are.

Vert pipe support 22" 1.5" OD max.
    Horz support 1.25" to 1.5" angle iron, 30" lenght centered 10" forward and 20"
    aft of the vert support.
    Angle of of holder 30 to 35 degree's
    Notch bottom of vert support 1\4" x 4 to fit gimble pin inside of rail rod holder.
    (Big E gimble pins are set 90 deg to the rail)

notice rod butt support plate and rod but retaining strap.
    Also notice forward velcro rod strap and lanyard to secure holder to rail.

Accutate power handle and electra-mate crank adaptor were added to the 9\0
    along with FINS 130 lb DEEP DROP high abrasion coated braid.

Attached Files: