And then this one showed up...

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Earl, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Earl

Earl Senior Member

This is the buck I refered to in the post about my sons second deer. He made his first showing (during shooting hours of course - my cameras are 1 hour ahead) last Saturday but of course we weren't hunting due to Thanksgiving. He's showed up a few times since this past week. He's a BIG OLD 9 with a drop tine and some "trash" on his bases. Got some nice mass to him.

Question for you pro's (as I definitely am not one) - I know this buck is pretty mature, any idea how old? Since we hunt a one buck county both my son and I are tagged out for this year. I'm hoping this old boy makes it another year. It's a small (100 acre) low fence place so I know the odds are against it, but you never know. It does not appear that there is alot of deer hunting pressure immediately around me. Varmints yes, but not deer.

Thanks,
    Earl

Attached Files:

2. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

That's a nice kicker. Congrats on the hunting, Earl.

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Damn Earl, that dude is a hoss.. I think Cheryl needs to buy a license.. wink wink.. !!!!

4. oldtrackster

oldtrackster Senior Member

Damn Earl, that dude is a hoss.. I think Cheryl needs to buy a license.. wink wink.. !!!!

That is an excellent idea. You know she sure would enjoy a hunt like that. :)

5. Earl

Earl Senior Member

I sure wish she would! I've tried for years but she hasn't had an interest in hunting. I think the key will be Kaleb though. My blinds aren't big enough for the 3 of us so I need her to go along to sit with one of the boys.

Earl

6. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Earl,

That would make a he*? of a first deer for Kaleb. I've got a 222 that he should be able to handle w/o any issue with you there. Just need to make up a batch of 50 grain Nosler partitions (instead of the Ballistic Tips that I normal use on varmits) and he should be all set.

Sent me a PM if you're interested.

7. Earl

Earl Senior Member

Thanks Kevin, I've got a .223 that will probably work fine too. I need to do alot of training with him first though. So far he hasn't shot anything bigger than his Red Ryder.

I'd probably never hear the end of it if that was Kaleb's first deer...but Dad, mine was only a 4 pointer little dinky deer! Then Kaleb would say, yeah Kyle your deer was dinky, mine ate him for breakfast and still had to eat corn to get full, oh and by the way I'm half your age....Oh yeah, I'd never hear the end of it around the house. :)

Earl

Earl,

That would make a he*? of a first deer for Kaleb. I've got a 222 that he should be able to handle w/o any issue with you there. Just need to make up a batch of 50 grain Nosler partitions (instead of the Ballistic Tips that I normal use on varmits) and he should be all set.

Sent me a PM if you're interested.

8. shanker

shanker Senior Member

earl, I say thats a 6.5 year old deer, big neck like that makes him 5.5 or higher, but because of the trash (in a good sense) on his antlers, and the roman nose, I put him at 6.5....

get your son to drop him, he's a beautiful deer

9. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I would just cap him. Reminds me of a state water snapper discussion.