360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Amp Hours (Ah) for a full day on the water.

5K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  mboy 
#1 · (Edited)
A question for the Elec reel users. What ah do you find best for a day of fishing without a charge being needed. I know depth and load play a big part so an overall estimate.
Trying to decide on an ah size. Is 20ah good or is 50ah or higher needed for a day of fishing. Trying to keep the size and weight down but rather have battery life.

Benny

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Packaging and labeling

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Electric blue

Think it’s narrowed down to this company. M-Tech has great reviews and customers are saying a longer life between charges than my other choice Ionic. Although I like the Bluetooth battery check capabilities from the ionic app, longer life is the goal.
Now the decision is one 45Ah or two 20Ah so I’ll always have one on charge and the smaller size makes it easier to store in a waterproof box.

Benny

Discussion starter · #15 · (Edited)
Benny let us know how it all shakes out. The reel brand batteries are cased and easy to carry but you would need two for all day.
The reel batteries are hard to find and are higher priced than an equal Ah lithium. I think I’m leaning on the M-Tech batteries not sure yet on the 45Ah or higher. But either way I’m working on a waterproof box to store and carry.

Benny

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Went with a 45Ah battery.
It’s overall size is 9”x 8”x 5.5” and weighs 14.5#.
Hope to be rigging a watertight case with connections on the outside for reel wire clamps.

Benny

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Benny if you are going to build a W/T box for it, you might as well add a fuse/breaker and a receptacle so you have circuit protection and ease of connection.
Hey Kim do you have a fuse on your battery and if so, what size fuse is installed. I ordered a fused line and it comes with 7amp fuses. Think 7amp will be ok?

Benny
Light Green Camera accessory Electrical wiring Gas

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Benny the factory packs its internal, but if I was to make a power supply, I'd probably fuse at 2.5 amp to start with. Having a load on rod would be big help, then if fuse blows, try 3a etc. you want the lowest rated fuse at full load.
I can see some load tests from my deck in the future. All the reading I’ve been doing say a fuse of 20a or 30a is fine. I feel that’s way over what I would want it to trip at.

Benny

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Haven’t heard anything from Shimano via phone and email. Does anyone use external lithium batteries with their Elec reels without fuses. Thinking of making the battery box without a fuse then adding it in if needed. I just hate leaving on hold.

Benny

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Benny, I checked the boat reel receptacles, and the breakers 15A and they have never tripped with 2 receptacles to a breaker.
Thanks Kim! That definitely gives me an idea of what fuse size will work. So, I’m sure a 10a would be fine or maybe the 7a that came with the fuse holder.

Benny

Discussion starter · #43 ·
My battery, are waterproof box are complete.
Total box weight with 45Ah battery is 17lb 11oz not the best for following a fish around a boat but not that heavy either. The weight inside is balanced and the recessed handle is super comfortable so it doesn’t feel like 17lb. Decided a fuse wasn’t necessary as the reels have fuses installed, but still have plenty of room if needed. Box also has enough room inside to store reel cables. Made reel connections to retract for transportation with a rubber cap on the ends
Battery brand is MTech
Box is Pelican vault ammo box
Positive and negative stickers by RCSwag.com
All the extra hardware was purchased on Amazon, rods, wire, and waterproof fittings.

Benny

Rectangle Gas Metal Machine Electrical supply

Gas Hood Automotive exterior Trunk Bumper

Adapter Audio equipment Cable Electrical wiring Auto part

Luggage and bags Gadget Bumper Bag Automotive exterior
Gadget Luggage and bags Audio equipment Rectangle Bumper

Black Bag Bumper Trunk Luggage and bags

Tire Automotive exterior Gas Font Automotive design

Electrical wiring Electrical supply Cable Electronic device Wire

Discussion starter · #46 ·
I am going to be using my G300j for Slow Pitch jigging, so I will prob wind up with one of the 17000mah ones so I can move around with it. Also have a small 2.5lb LifePo4 12ah as well. Have not used yet.
Let me know how much time you get with the 17k mah when you get to use it.

Benny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.