Alutenos Gorilla Reels

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by tunacrazy, Aug 2, 2009.

1. tunacrazy

tunacrazy Senior Member

Has anyone tested,or own either of the 12or 12c. I'm looking for a reel for a jm450. I don't really want a two-speed. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts. bruce

2. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Has anyone tested,or own either of the 12or 12c. I'm looking for a reel for a jm450. I don't really want a two-speed. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts. bruce

I just got the Gorilla 12 reel last month. Its an awesome reel!
    Very strong, smooth, and incredible Italian craftsmanship.

I know there are several guys on the forum that also have the Gorilla 12 and 12C and will be sure to provide their experience with the reel. I am very happy with the Gorilla 12 and will also consider getting the 12C.

I was able to get exactly 300 yards of TufLine XP 80# yellow braid on my Gorilla 12. At first I spooled it with 330 yards of Daiwa Boat Braid PE-6 (80#) and had about 1/4 to 1/2 inch left of the reel spool, so it could have easily take plenty more of the Daiwa braid since its a very thin braid.

The Gorilla 12 or 12C would be a nice match to the JM450 rod.

I also have the Diawa Ishidai Z40 reel which is the beefed up and bling-bling version of the Saltiga 40 reel.

Good luck with your reel selection.

Ty

3. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Hey Bruce, I have the 12 and 12c and I absolutely love both reels. I had a small problem with the 12c and just sent it back to Alutecnos for repair. Both reels are very smooth under heavy load. I also didn't like the stock handles on either reel so I installed the new Accurate extreme handles which was a perfect fit. After feeling the power on these single speed reels, I will never go back to 2 speed.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f60/problem-alutecnos-gorilla-12c-5403/

I can send both reels with Gary for the Aug. Scat Cat trip so you can try them out before you buy.:D

4. longgar

longgar Moderator

Hey Bruce, I have the 12 and 12c and I absolutely love both reels. I had a small problem with the 12c and just sent it back to Alutecnos for repair. Both reels are very smooth under heavy load. I also didn't like the stock handles on either reel so I installed the new Accurate extreme handles which was a perfect fit. After feeling the power on these single speed reels, I will never go back to 2 speed.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f60/problem-alutecnos-gorilla-12c-5403/

I can send both reels with Gary for the Aug. Scat Cat trip so you can try them out before you buy.:D

YES!!! I guess I can do that.. if you twist my arm. lol

5. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I am fishing the 12C on a 200g spiral wrapped rod right now. Its totally awesome. In my opinion it the best small reel out there, for smoothness and durability. Annual service is also available right in the warehouse in Miami and its resonable and quick.

[​IMG]

6. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I am fishing the 12C on a 200g spiral wrapped rod right now. Its totally awesome. In my opinion it the best small reel out there, for smoothness and durability. Annual service is also available right in the warehouse in Miami and its resonable and quick.

[​IMG]

Jim,

Nice. Which rod is that and what were you fighting?

Ty

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Jim,

Nice. Which rod is that and what were you fighting?

Ty
    not sure what he is fighting.
    but the rod.
    JPR:D

Attached Files:

8. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

9. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Alutecnos 12C on 200g Riley Blank wrapped by JPR. The first guide does need to be adjusted for an 8 degree offset to counter some line pile up that I am seeing. At least thats what my NZ jigga's are saying Smith does with some of their rods to counter that.

Jacks, Jacks and more Jacks. We had 5 hours of getting pounded on every drop that day.

The rod Paul built me combined with the 12C is so easy to fish. Dreamy.

10. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I have the Gorilla 12. Powerful, powerful reel. I love it. A real work of art too.

11. Ruud4u

Ruud4u Member

Hello Bruce,

We (4 members of EuroJiggers) bought 4 Gorilla/C's (3xL, 1xR) and a 12 LBS and like them a lot... :D
    Fool proof, rock-solid, beautiful built, perfect finishing.
    Going to use mine on a Custom-350 (spiral-wrapped)...

Succes determining yor choices...

12. tunacrazy

tunacrazy Senior Member

Thanks for the replies on this reel,confrims what I thought I already felt about this reel. I will own one of these reels in the future. Thanks, Bruce

13. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

I just got in 4 of the Gorilla 12C for our trip to Panama - 3 have been setup by factory with the curved handle that says Alutenos in the rubber and one we are trying with the round knob. They look like beasts, I like how solid they feel - a little heavy but once on the rods they should be fine.

I think I'm going to spool some of the them with OTI #60 colored braid and one with Tuff Line #65 to try the lines side by side. The 12C is a very narrow reel a really "narrow narrow" in Accurate terms so I am curious to see how much they hold of the different brands of line.

In that the spools of tuff line I have are only 300 yards - any hints as to how much mono backing to add first to fill em 1/8 or so to the edge ???

I also have a spool of #100 Tuff line 300 yards wonder if that would fit completely maybe with no backing ?

14. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I just got in 4 of the Gorilla 12C for our trip to Panama ....

... In that the spools of tuff line I have are only 300 yards - any hints as to how much mono backing to add first to fill em 1/8 or so to the edge ???

I also have a spool of #100 Tuff line 300 yards wonder if that would fit completely maybe with no backing ?

Attached are photos of what the Gorilla 12 looks like with 300yards of TufLine XP 80# and a 25ft 80# wind-on leader.

When I had the reel spooled with Daiwa Boat Braid PE-6 (80# 300 meters) I had at least twice as much room left over as you see from the TufLine in the photos.

I hope that helps.

Ty

Attached Files:

15. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Hey thanks I will go to their website and see what capacity they advertise for the 12C but that's great thanks for posting the photos

16. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Dan, dont put any mono backing! I do a trilene Uni combo, and use a small maybe .5inch by .5inch of duct tape to cover the tag end. Lay the tag end along the width of the spool, and reel over it. It will not slip!

17. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Dan, dont put any mono backing! I do a trilene Uni combo, and use a small maybe .5inch by .5inch of duct tape to cover the tag end. Lay the tag end along the width of the spool, and reel over it. It will not slip!

I do the same thing minus the tape. No slipping at all.