Alutecnos Gorilla 20

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Staven, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Staven

Staven Senior Member

Anybody else bit the bullet and bought one?

I love my Gorilla 12 so I got the 20. Nice reel. I hope to take it apart and abuse it a little so I can post some pics this week.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i havent bought on yet, they do look nice and well built
    they have gotten good reviews
    i am using the dawia saltiga reels for now.

3. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

i have been contimplating buying the 12 also??

4. Staven

Staven Senior Member

i have been contimplating buying the 12 also??

I can not speak too highly of the reel. Mind you I also have accurates and three torsa reels (16, 20 and a 40).

If there is one thing they could have done better is a oversized gear. But the gear that the 12 has is fine for jigging and bringing the jig back. The fish I have caught on the 12 have not been huge. The Biggest is a 50# AJ so far. But with that drag man its a beast.

I have 360 yds of 80# suffix on my 12. Drag on strike is at 24# and max is over 30 (just in case I need it:D NEVER!!!).
    It is the profile size of a Trini 16, a bit heavier (26oz) but much more line and ever at those drag settings not a hint of binding at the gear. And I can cast with also to a bit. I tend to backlash. But it has good freespool. Not like Avet, but then again I can backlash a Avet just looking at it.

If they were to make the Gorilla a 2 speed it would be pure amazing.
    I had the shop where I live put on suffix 100# on the Gorilla 20, and... 420 yds???:rolleyes: :D Dont think I am going to get spooled soon. Maybe yanked off the boat (due to drag) but not spooled.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The handle of the 20 is very handsome. :)
    The reel is available in Japan.

[​IMG]

6. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Wow that's a purdy reel

7. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

Kil,
    Is that the gorilla 20?? I have been back and forth trying to figure out what reel i want the accurate 665 or the alutcnos. I will most likely get both, but i have to settle for one. Last season I used the Avet Hoox, which I liked, then i went smaller to the JX on my lighter rods, which I didn't like due to the fact that you loose free spool once you tighten down the drag.
    SO the big question is Gorilla 12 or Accurate 665??? It will be going on a OTI 600g for TUNA....

Thanks
    Nick

8. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Nick,

FWIW, I own both reels and here's my take on them. For a short jigging rod like the OTI, where I'll be using a mechanical jigging motion, I prefer a narrow reel like the 665N or 665NN. I like the narrow reels both because they're easy to palm while jigging and there is little or no line lay issues. For a longer jigging rod, a wide spool is no problem. My Alu 12 is on a 6'6" CosmoTech CT661TUNA POWER KEVLAR for grouper and tuna jigging (for this season at least).

So, for the rod you're trying to match to, go narrow all the way.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil,
    Is that the gorilla 20?? I have been back and forth trying to figure out what reel i want the accurate 665 or the alutcnos. I will most likely get both, but i have to settle for one. Last season I used the Avet Hoox, which I liked, then i went smaller to the JX on my lighter rods, which I didn't like due to the fact that you loose free spool once you tighten down the drag.
    SO the big question is Gorilla 12 or Accurate 665??? It will be going on a OTI 600g for TUNA....

Thanks
    Nick
    If you like to crank fast with a short rod like OTI 600g, my first choice is a star drag reel. If you want a lever drag reel for fast cranking, a narrow reel is better as Sea Crappie suggested.
    For general purposes it is hard to choose between Gorilla 12 and Accurate 665 two-speed as both are excellent reels as have their own merit.
    Accurate has an edge on smoothness of turning handle and moving the drag lever on high drag though Gorilla 12 is not bad at all. And the free spool of 665 is second to none.
    Both have max drag over 30 lbs and I don't see much binding prolbem upto 25 lbs at strike for both reels.
    For strength and durability of internal parts, I would say 12 Gorilla has an edge.
    I've used Evorol reels for tuna jigging for years and I know how durable Italian reels are. When I was told that the internal parts of Accurate 665 two-speed is basically the same of existing 665 single speed, it became my concern whether the reel can sustain heavy pressure of big tuna or not as the 665 single speed reels were not designed for 80 lbs lines and as I know Asian jig fishermen have to upgrade 665 single speed to be suitable for jigging big fish.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i will finally admit that narrow spool reels do make a difference. i used chip's trinidad 40N this weekend and loved the narrow frame. it was much easier to hold while cranking that fast.

that being said, i have no problems using a normal 665 and love the reel.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

another thing to point out is that the regular 665 is very multi dimensional in my opinion. I think you could use the reel to chunk, jig, fish live bait and even cast if you can cast conventionals well. If you're going to buy a jigging-only reel then a narrow spool might be a better choice, as well as star drag.