Alutecnos Gorilla 20

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by BretABaker, Feb 7, 2008.

1. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

2. gman

gman Senior Member

I held it and cranked it, all Alutecnos reels are top quality. To be honest they are better made than most reels but aren't main steam here in the US except for Miami. Most of the tournament sailfish captains use the Veloce because of the high speeds. The big game series has the smoothest drag I've ever seen

I held out on one when they first came out because for that money I wanted a 2 speed

3. gman

gman Senior Member

BTW Tackle direct is awesome, a friend of mine works there John Vaughn. He is a great guy to buy from and damit that reel looks soooo good

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

BTW Tackle direct is awesome, a friend of mine works there John Vaughn. He is a great guy to buy from and damit that reel looks soooo good
    cool - good to know.

this reel is pricier than the Baker 12, which looks to be virtually the same reel but in 2 speed. I would lean to the Baker since it is less expensive, and a 2 speed. However - the gorilla does look awesome.

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Alutechnos makes high quality reels, too bad it's single speed.

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

cool - good to know.

this reel is pricier than the Baker 12, which looks to be virtually the same reel but in 2 speed. I would lean to the Baker since it is less expensive, and a 2 speed. However - the gorilla does look awesome.
    Well I broke off the YFT I hooked on the Baker of the last weekend. I had the drag set too high.:(
    I have nothing but good things to say about the reel so far. I ended up jigging for blackfin with it because I wanted to fish it so bad...

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

haha - well at least the drag didn't punk out!

it looks like a pretty versatile reel - I'm excited to try one out. What rod were you using?