360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired Member
5,445 Posts
How about the shimano torsa 20 or 30 with a BFS-50 Cam. That puts you right between both ratios. The planetary gearing in the torsa is smooth and easy. The torsa 30 will give you just about the same line capacity as the Gorilla 20.

Benny

·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about the shimano torsa 20 or 30 with a BFS-50 Cam. That puts you right between both ratios. The planetary gearing in the torsa is smooth and easy. The torsa 30 will give you just about the same line capacity as the Gorilla 20.

Benny
Benny i would go that route but what they want for a discontinued torsa and a bfs 50 cam is nuts. And impossible to find a bfs 50….Unless you got one for sale

·
Retired Member
5,445 Posts
Let me check! The LRS and CFS I feel would be good for your needs also. The Chunk Fishing Special was designed for tuna chunking. The difference in the BFS50 and CFS is the drag curve, CFS having that gap in the drag to hold a bait in the current the full drags are the same. The 50 while having an almost constant pressure increase while pushing the lever, the CFS will have an longer area in the beginning (sort of like a bait runner feature) to allow just enough drag to hold a bait in the current. Once you pass that small area with the lever the curve is the same as the 50 pressure increasing as the lever is pushed forward. Wow! That was a lot to say before I even check. Do you have a Torsa?
Hmmm… maybe I can interest you in a great grouper rod? How about a Cape Fear Tortuga series.

Benny

·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me check! The LRS and CFS I feel would be good for your needs also. The Chunk Fishing Special was designed for tuna chunking. The difference in the BFS50 and CFS is the drag curve, CFS having that gap in the drag to hold a bait in the current the full drags are the same. The 50 while having an almost constant pressure increase while pushing the lever, the CFS will have an longer area in the beginning (sort of like a bait runner feature) to allow just enough drag to hold a bait in the current. Once you pass that small area with the lever the curve is the same as the 50 pressure increasing as the lever is pushed forward. Wow! That was a lot to say before I even check. Do you have a Torsa?
Hmmm… maybe I can interest you in a great grouper rod? How about a Cape Fear Tortuga series.

Benny
I dont have a torsa any longer, had 3 in the past but sold them all. I dont think shimano has all the parts if something would go wrong is another reason im hesitant. Heard great things about cape fear as well but once again more of a collector rod now a days.fishing will be 25lbs plus of drag. Which model do you have?

·
Retired Member
5,445 Posts
I dont have a torsa any longer, had 3 in the past but sold them all. I dont think shimano has all the parts if something would go wrong is another reason im hesitant. Heard great things about cape fear as well but once again more of a collector rod now a days.fishing will be 25lbs plus of drag. Which model do you have?
Cape Fear Tortuga TTG100-66C are you familiar with it? Tried searching online for something on it and nothing.

Benny
Musical instrument Automotive tire Cylinder Bicycle part Font

·
Retired Member
5,445 Posts
I have a jigging world proto-type blank custom built here in SC for heavy bottom fishing. Think it’s a 7’ rod and has cold shrink over fore grip foam for rail use. If you’re looking for a heavy bottom rod I’ll get some pics with some weight lift bends. Also have a couple of 2-speed reels suitable for you. An Avet Raptor HX5/2-MC and a Shimano Speed Master 16II.Both deliver well over 25# drag. Sounds like you’re not into torsa 30 so I won’t did it out for pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cape Fear Tortuga TTG100-66C are you familiar with it? Tried searching online for something on it and nothing.

Benny
View attachment 123237
That's the only other Cape Fear Tortuga I've ever actually seen. The butt's too short for me on my Tortuga 30-60, so it just sits in my office. I have a few other Cape Fears I fish regularly. Amazing rods.

·
Retired Member
5,445 Posts
That's the only other Cape Fear Tortuga I've ever actually seen. The butt's too short for me on my Tortuga 30-60, so it just sits in my office. I have a few other Cape Fears I fish regularly. Amazing rods.
I can’t believe there is no info online. I guess I’ll keep it in the rack. May have to vacuum seal it. Lol

Benny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts