Alutecnos Gorilla 12

Discussion in 'Reels' started by rtran, Oct 21, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

This is the reel I chose for cow tuna. The handle has been upgraded to Gorilla 20 handle courtesy of TJ - thanks =) This reel is awesome with multidisc drag and bomb proof like structure. Freespool is still good with drags set at 40lb at strike. I'm not an expert on it but it spins freely. The reel has many engravings for the drag/lever position. The drags are set with a knob on the left side of the reel. Put the reel in freespool then turn the knob on the left side plate +/-. Put the lever to strike and scale. Very easy. Looking at the other side of the reel by the handle is the clicker to the left of the handle - twist for operation. I've scaled the gorilla to 40lb at strike to pair with my JM Power Spell rod and they seem to be a great match. Enjoy the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RoyBoy

RoyBoy Member

Very VERY Nice combination!!!!

Have spoken to one of Santa's little helpers, and have been reliably informed that there is an Alutenos Gorilla 20 on order! Can't wait for Christmas.......
    Will spool with PE8 or PE10
    Also been thinking of the Power Spell 450.

3. Jesse Lockowitz

Jesse Lockowitz Member

sweeet setup, looks beast!

40lb + still having freespool..hold on tight!

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Nice looking reel and rod choice. If I was targeting Cows, I would have some lugs on my jigging reel though. Atleast thats me, 40 lbs drag in a harness is doable forever, 40lbs without 30 mins on average.

d-a

5. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

40lbs without a harness is a recipe for disaster imho. hell even 30 plus pounds in a harness can be deadly on a rocking boat....rick

6. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

Rich,
    This is a SWEET Set up , I have been eyeing that reel up for a while, but i'm left handed and have been trying to train myself with right hand reels for speed jigging.

7. RoyBoy

RoyBoy Member

njnicka, they make them for lefties as well. Premium is 30 - 50 as I recall

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the power spell 350 is plenty for most people, since 95% of people never truly fish with over 22lbs of drag. the 500g is a ridiculously strong rod. I'd recommend pulling on both if possible before buying.

The alutecnos look like awesome reels. i'm sure you'll be happy with this.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

This outfit has not been equipped with bracket yet because them seem to be having trouble finding the makers of the GS bracket. I am getting a custom fabricator to make one now.

I would not recommend this rod if you are not planning on using over 30lb drag. Bret is right, try to pull on the rod before purchasing. This rod is no joke.

I feel like this reel can do over 40lb drag and still have freespool but have no tried. I won't be the test dummy for that though HA HA.

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

This outfit has not been equipped with bracket yet because them seem to be having trouble finding the makers of the GS bracket. I am getting a custom fabricator to make one now.

I would not recommend this rod if you are not planning on using over 30lb drag. Bret is right, try to pull on the rod before purchasing. This rod is no joke.

I feel like this reel can do over 40lb drag and still have freespool but have no tried. I won't be the test dummy for that though HA HA.

You need to invest in a good quality personal EPIRB too. Keep it on you every time you plan on strapping in.:D

d-a

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

You need to invest in a good quality personal EPIRB too. Keep it on you every time you plan on strapping in.:D

d-a

What's that Doug?

Life jacket? HAHA

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What's that Doug?

Life jacket? HAHA

No its a Emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB for short) Its so they can find you once you float back up.:D :D

d-a

13. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

sounds to me like you are going to be ripping alot of hooks out if you fish for tuna with 40#s of drag

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

No its a Emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB for short) Its so they can find you once you float back up.:D :D

d-a

I'll be sure to get that HAHA.

sounds to me like you are going to be ripping alot of hooks out if you fish for tuna with 40#s of drag

The only time I plan to use such high drag is when I go fish for cow. I won't be able to get them this season though. I'm still going to test the rod/reel at 25lb though on upcoming trip.

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

He's planning on Jigging up a COW, the more drag he can handle the quicker the punishment will be on him.:p

d-a

16. Robs

Robs Junior member

I too am interested in the Gorilla 12. How do I contact TJ to upgrade the handle to a 20?

17. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Check your PM.

18. pursuit

pursuit Guest

What do you think of rod Jigging master? "Made in China?

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Made in Japan I believe.

On another note, I got my reel back from Alutecnos USA today and they changed the frame with new frame with lugs. You have option to take the lugs out and put silver inserts in if you like.