Alutecnos Gorilla 12 Question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Formula4Fish, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

I really like the looks of the Alutecnos Gorilla 12, but I have a concern. They are manufactured in Italy, which seems like it could be a problem with warranty or service issues. Is there a U.S. warranty and service location?

Can anyone offer feedback regarding reel performance and reliability, and particularly, on how warranty or service issues have been handled?

Minnow... I read your review, but it's over a year old. Have you changed your opinion on this reel?

Thanks,

Dick

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Dick,

In my opinion this is one powerful reel, more so than Blue Haven, Accurate boss 665 2 speed, and Ocea Jigger.
    The biggest fish on this reel so fas is 80-90lb tuna, drag is smooth and NO hick up yet. Knock on wood.

If you are planning to use this reel for jigging, it's fine but if you are planning to live bait fishing with it, you might want to think twice. Free spool on this reel is not great, that was the reason I returned that reel last year. i have changed my mind and want a powerful reel for jigging.

I would say go for it if you want a high quality reel. Btw i get mine from TACKLEDIRECT

3. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Thanks Minnow,

I notice is doesn't have harness lugs, and I suspect a "Get Strapped Bracket" will not work with it because the reel clamp uses 4 screws. The only way I can handle that kind of drag, which would be anything over about 20#, is with a harness. Is there any solution that you know of that would allow the use of a harness with this reel?

I wonder if the "Alan Tani treatment" of cleaning the grease out of the spool bearings and replacing it with CorrosionX would fix the free spool problem. That's not a biggie in my case, as I would only use it for jigging or deep-dropping bait.

Dick

4. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

This reel will work just fine out of the box if you are planning to use it for jigging.

Find you a D rings from hardware store and make the harness for it ( just like spinning reel harness from Braid products).