Alantani and Others: Shimano Reel Service

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by Uncle Russ, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Not trying to turn this into an ultra-light forum, but some time ago, I bought Stellas in every size from 1,000 FA to 20,000 FA, and put the smaller ones on the shelf--so although they were about a year and a half old, they were brand new. About 2 months ago, I spooled the little Stella 1000 FA up with 10 pound braid, put it on a sweet little GLoomis Escape rod, and went after bass in several farm ponds. After about 10 casts and reel-ins, it got really, really rough on the retrieve--no grinding, but just rough and uneven. So about 10 days ago, I sent it to Shimano U.S. for service--no warranty claim or anything--hell, I probably couldn't find the receipt if it reached up and bit me on the ass.

Yesterday, I get a box in the mail, with the little reel in it--smooth as silk once again, and a non-invoice-invoice stating that the "friction ring" had been replaced, and charging me for parts- zero, for labor- zero, and for shipping- zero. Wonderful service that and certainly in keeping with what I have read abou them on this board.

But I have a question--primarily I guess for our Guru Alantani, but anyone else as well--what the hell is a "friction ring" and why would it fail after one use on a 600 dollar reel with no more than a pound of drag dialed in?

Inquiring, but blank and ignorant minds like Uncle Russ's want to know!

Russ

2. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Uncle Russ,
    Friction ring is to hold the rotor for turning when the bail open.

Attached Files:

3. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

When the friction ring (synthetic rubber) goes bad, you will feel uneven rubbing when retrieving the reel.

4. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

UR, I hope Shimano is as generous with my order submitted this evening. My 20K Handle Shaft Assy broke ($47) as I was working a shubiki Wednesday night @ Diana Hoover. I'm glad it didn't fail minutes before when I was pulling in a 40lb mahi :D

My Twinpower 8000 took over and caught a nice 60lb YFT :D

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Freddy: Thanks very much for the info and the picture. That was exactly the symptom I experienced--still no idea why it would go bad--but if it does again--now I know.

Louis: Nice catching! But I wouldn't count on Shimano's being generous. I just called the service rep and said: "You guys treated me great--Will you be generous with my buddy Louis?" The guy thought about it a minute and said: "Naaahhhh. Screw him."

Russ

6. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

My pleasured Uncle Russ,
    Rubber always goes bad over the period of times, specially on really hot or cold climate environmental.
    It's like rubber seal on the car engine. Will start leaking oil when you store it for long time without warm it up once a while.

7. Ringo

Ringo Guest

Uncle Russ,
    Friction ring is to hold the rotor for turning when the bail open.

Hi guys,

I am new to this Forum and am based in England.

I too have had this exact same problem with two Stella's that were very lightly used .... a 4000FA and 6000FA. Maybe that's the problem ... a lack of use??

The problem occurred after casting and tripping the bail by turning the reel handle, rather than manually closing the bail. Sent both reels off to Shimano in the UK and ended up paying nearly $100 for the repairs.

If it is the friction ring at fault, how easy is it to strip reel down, replace the ring, and rebuild?

I have seen the excellent post from ichibahn on the Stella service, but it doesn't show the strip down, so am a bit wary of trying it myself?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards
    Nick