360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on 2cool, felt it was worth posting here.

LINK
Sport Fishing - Recreational closure for greater amberjack in the Gulf of Mexico

TEXT

Recreational closure for greater amberjack in the Gulf of Mexico
By NOAA
Mon, Oct 19, 2009
In 2008, NOAA Fisheries Service implemented a recreational quota of 1.368 million pounds for greater amberjack harvested in the Gulf of Mexico. Recreational landings data indicate the recreational quota has been met. Therefore, in accordance with the regulations, beginning at 12:01 a.m., local time, on October 24, 2009, the recreational fishery for greater amberjack in federal waters is closed. The recreational harvest and possession of greater amberjack in or from federal waters will be prohibited through the end of the current fishing year, December 31, 2009. A person aboard a vessel for which a federal charter vessel/headboat permit for Gulf reef fish has been issued must also abide by this provision in state waters.

NOAA Fisheries Service has determined this action is necessary to prevent overfishing and to keep the recreational sector from exceeding its quota during the 2009 fishing year.

If despite the closure, recreational landings exceed the quota, NOAA Fisheries Service will file a notification with the Office of the Federal Register, at or near the beginning of the 2010 fishing year, to reduce the length of the recreational fishing season for the 2010 fishing year by the amount necessary to recover the overage from the prior fishing year. This action is required by regulations implemented under the Fishery Management Plan for Reef Fish Resources of the Gulf of Mexico

·
1,541 Posts
this is what happens when obama is president. had we had the delicious looking sarah palin this would not have happened

·
1,095 Posts
QUOTE "If despite the closure, recreational landings exceed the quota, NOAA Fisheries Service will file a notification with the Office of the Federal Register, at or near the beginning of the 2010 fishing year, to reduce the length of the recreational fishing season for the 2010 fishing year by the amount necessary to recover the overage from the prior fishing year. This action is required by regulations implemented under the Fishery Management Plan for Reef Fish Resources of the Gulf of Mexico."

And just HTF are "they" going to make THAT determination....?????!!!!

Let's get some common sense into Gubberment....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive never been asked to weigh my catch and had to report it to some bio-nerd so im not sure where this is coming from. I'm sure its a load of BS as far as the amount caught goes, just like snapper.

·
3,719 Posts
QUOTE "If despite the closure, recreational landings exceed the quota, NOAA Fisheries Service will file a notification with the Office of the Federal Register, at or near the beginning of the 2010 fishing year, to reduce the length of the recreational fishing season for the 2010 fishing year by the amount necessary to recover the overage from the prior fishing year. This action is required by regulations implemented under the Fishery Management Plan for Reef Fish Resources of the Gulf of Mexico."

And just HTF are "they" going to make THAT determination....?????!!!!

Let's get some common sense into Gubberment....

Common sense? Government? Ah. AAhAA, HAA HAA HAA HAA HHAAA HAA HAA HAA

·
1,095 Posts
Yea, I know.... my wife has worked for the Feds for 20 + yrs.. it is virtually hopeless... the stories she tells.. they need to fire the lot of em', and start over... We CAN move the ball along in the next election!!! That is our only hope... and ....

Make the entire lot of them get their paychecks from the STATE they represent, instead of allowing them to pay themselves from the Federal coffers.... Make then knock on MY front door and convince me they need a pay raise...!!!

·
726 Posts
It is being discussed in the SAFMC also.Imagine that, shutting down A.J. fishing in North Carolina.Rec and Commercial fishing.I do not understand it.
The sooner I move to Boca Chica the better off I will be.

·
5,457 Posts
It is being discussed in the SAFMC also.Imagine that, shutting down A.J. fishing in North Carolina.Rec and Commercial fishing.I do not understand it.
The sooner I move to Boca Chica the better off I will be.

It wouldnt only be shutting down the keeping of Aj's not fishing for them. Most the guys that are going to NC for AJ's are strictly catch and release

d-a

·
2,030 Posts
Make no mistake about it,stats have zero bearing on this closure. It is PEW going after Rec fishing and it won't be long at this pace that they have the entire Rec fishing closed down permanantly. It is tree huggers and this Administration putting the kabosh on things.

·
781 Posts
As I tried to post on 2cool, we are fighting this tooth and nail out here in Cal they are bound and determined to shut down fishing period.
You need to contact your local elected officials and tell them whats going on. Only the thought of losing votes and decreasing the incomes fishing generates in our local communities can stop this.
It is being pushed hard out here between the Packard Foundation an the Pew group.
It has been reported that local collages are giving full day credit if their students attend the final public comment meeting 10-21-09 and block seats in the meeting rooms so fishermen will have nowhere to sit. This particular meeting decides which closure map will be implimented for the Dana Point area. I was at the landing Sunday passing out stickers and T-shirts to bring additional public awareness as 90% of anglers have NO CLUE as to what is happening.
I also sent 100 Bumper stickers and some shirts today to some folks in Oregon who are aware and trying to get a leg up on propsed closures for their areas.
This is no joke folks, we are under attack by the enviros, they have now got backing by those who have found a way to profit from the closures.

Attachments

·
617 Posts
if it need closure then close it .. both commercial & recs .. this split quota is BS. equal treatment under the law .. demand it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its not like there is a 10-fish limit either......guess lots of guys are catching 100+ lb fish....:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts