360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will address this issue relative to both greater amberjack and red snapper.

First greater amberjack. There is a recreational quota of 1.368 million pounds. State water catches are counted against the quota. The accountability measure at CFR 622.49(a)(ii) requires that NMFS close the fishery when the quota is caught. The regulations also specify "if despite such closure, recreational landings exceed the quota, the AA will file a notice with the office of the Federal Register, at or near the beginning of the following year, to reduce the length of the recreational fishing season for the following year by the amount necessary to recover the overage." So if state waters remain open after the EEZ closure and additional fish are caught, those landings will be taken off next year's quota and the fishing season will close that much earlier next year.

For red snapper there is currently a recreational quota of 2.45 million pounds. The MSA 407(d)(2) requires that we have a recreational quota that "when reached, result in a prohibition on retention of fish caught during recreational fishing". There is no provision for deducting overruns from the previous years quota. Sometime early in 2010, probably around March when we have the final landings for 2009, we will project when we think the quota will be caught based on a June 1 opening, a 2-fish bag limit and a 16-inch minimum size limit. We will take into account the likelihood of compatible state water closures. If compatible state closures do not occur, we will reduce the federal season's length to take into account state water catches that are expected after the EEZ closes. As with greater amberjack, state water catches are counted against the quota.

Obviously, if the Council increases the red snapper quotas based on the new assessment that will be factored in and would change the timing of when we would announce the closure date for next year. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Roy Crabtree

Received this Sat. afternoon...Thought I might share with you guys....

·
Site Sponsor
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Greater Amberjack Closures
The commercial and recreational closures for greater
amberjack in the Gulf end December 31, 2009, at
midnight, local time. Both sectors were closed due to
meeting their 2009 quotas. Regulations require any
quota overage to be subtracted from the next year’s
quota. When final catch statistics for 2009 are compiled,
NOAA Fisheries Service will issue Southeast Fishery
Bulletins informing fishermen of any adjustments to the
quotas and any resulting early closures for the 2010
fishing year.

·
251 Posts
How has the fishing been on the 12hr trips. What have you been catching? Have the snapper been pretty big this year?

·
364 Posts
How has the fishing been on the 12hr trips. What have you been catching? Have the snapper been pretty big this year?

Having been on a 12 hour with another boat and having had friends on other recent trips as well, I'd say the numbers are there, but the size is down. Boat limits are generally always reached. There are the ocaccional big ones, but to me they don't seem to be as frequent. For example, a party boat went out last week and caught a boat limit with the biggest being 10#.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.;)

G

·
the biggest snapper, much like other structure dwellers will be found on smaller structure in my opinion. lots of times huge fish are caught on small rock piles or a tiny wreck. the biggest snapper i caught (36"+) was caught on a tiny pile of rocks in the middle of nowhere out of galveston. this was not something a party boat would ever target and for good reason. their job is to get you on fish and to get all customers happy.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
I was the big e on June 12 12 hr trip
I saw several that looked to be 18-20 s pulled from
200 ft

Bret is right. Big snappers are caught further
away from the schoolies. Caught my biggest ones
off of small rocks and wrecks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.