AFTCO Digital Reel Seat Drag Scale

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Basil, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

Heard an interview with Greg Stotesbury from AFTCO, describing a new digital drag scale that will be built into the hood on AFTCO reel seats. It will provide real-time drag pressure readings. Sounds like quite an innovation. Cost is around $100, and will be shown at next ICAAST. You can hear the interview here.

Basil Pappas
    BHP Tackle

2. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

cool, if it works

3. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

Sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. We used to see goofy stuff like that all the time in tech diving.

4. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

So you wouldn't want to look down and see the drag pressure you are applying, in real time, while you are fighting a fish? It's not an existing "problem" but tell me why not?

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

assuming its not huge and annoying to deal with, thatd be really neat :)

6. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

Tata's on a Javalina, looks cool and fun to watch maybe, And if I had a 50' Cabo and 20 Stella's I might indulge the novelty, but more likely just spend the funds on another trip.

I set my drag pressures just like you fine gentlemen have instructed over the years, and could probably figure the exact poundage at varying degrees of diameter if I really cared too.
    I think maybe a mini wireless camera with a wide angle lens maybe 2' from the hook might be cooler and certainly more useful.

7. afraser

afraser Senior Member

If fishing for big fish, this would be a very useful product, especially if your drag changes during a long run.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

I think its very usefull. I would use one