Advice to MrBill

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by ksong, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I just saw you were in troulbe on Allcoast by critisizing Avet reels.
    Never ever critisize Avet reels in Avet land. :) They worship Avet reels there. :) A few years ago, I got bombarded with negative comments on Allcoast when I posted that I target 200 lbs plus tuna on jigs with small 3/0 or 4/0 reels with long rods. There are many experienced fishermen there and know about tackles very well, but it seems they are within their own circles.

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Doh! Political Correctness hits the fishing boards!!

DBG

3. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Lol..... Speaking of Avet worshipers.... Try Bloodydecks.

BTw, I frequently criticized Avets....however, I so like some models.

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

They are very opinionated over there on the west coast. Two people in general started harassing me. I'm not one to back down so I responded in the same arrogant manner and that really pissed them off. :) They didn't like being told how the cow ate the cabbage. :D I had only posted about 15 times on that board in the past so they were all after the newbie. The thread was removed by the moderator.

I went back a few days later to find a thread started by the moderator about posting etiquette. This was done because of previous thread that was deleted. He did a really good job. I could tell he spent a lot of time writing his post. The thread was few days old when I found it. They were still talking about how they chased off the newbie. So, I made a very polite comment to the moderator about what a great job he did on his posting etiquette thread. I also mentioned that it didn't do any good as nobody was following his rules. That thread was then deleted in minutes.

I might send Gunsmoke an email to sign up on that board. He would be relentless. He's very opinionated himself and "He's never wrong".

5. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Speaking of stirring up the Avet worshipers, some of the oldtimers may remember Earl's tell of the Avetites that he posted on Allcoast and the crap storm that followed?

It was very comical...

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Speaking of stirring up the Avet worshipers, some of the oldtimers may remember Earl's tell of the Avetites that he posted on Allcoast and the crap storm that followed?

It was very comical...
    I remember it. :) That was fun.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

I remember it too, but I was just a lurker back then. The old Allcoast GOM board was the best, but it died pretty much after all the crap with Tex and Earl ran all the good folks off. I still visit the tackle forum though.

8. Bret

Bret Senior Member

The tale of the avetites.... that one was a classic!!! Earl had no idea that the guys from Avet were of middle eastern descent....
    Those guys are a little uptight about their avets.... dont cut them any slack Mr. Bill...

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Elvis says that "Avets fricking rock!"

10. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I wasn't going to mention the Avetites, boy that was a strange one! I thought they were going to close down the Gulf board over that one.

DBG

11. getsome

getsome Guest

Kil, you think that Allcoast is bad, I have been banned for life from bloodydecks for not agreeing with the popular consensus about rods, reels and the idolization of particular charter captains...
    Both allcoast and bloodydecks are overrun with people that spend all of their time talking fishing on the internet and no time actually fishing.
    It's nice to find sites like this one. Where people that actually go fishing and post information about tackle, trips, etc. rather than sitting around arguing about who has the longest jig stick...

12. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Kil, you think that Allcoast is bad, I have been banned for life from bloodydecks for not agreeing with the popular consensus about rods, reels and the idolization of particular charter captains...
    Both allcoast and bloodydecks are overrun with people that spend all of their time talking fishing on the internet and no time actually fishing.
    It's nice to find sites like this one. Where people that actually go fishing and post information about tackle, trips, etc. rather than sitting around arguing about who has the longest jig stick...

Welcome to 360.... I agree.. those other two sites are pretty peculiar in that if you have an opinion that differs from theirs...... you are gonna catch hell for it.. We do joke around here , but dont bash others for their opinions;)

13. getsome

getsome Guest

Thanks for the welcome.
    I spend most of my time on senortuna (as it is a west coast site) and it is similar to this site in that (most) members are more interested in the progression of the sport than they are in self adulation.
    My only complaint about senortuna is that it seems that many members are more interested in talking about the deal they got on ground beef at the supermarket than what's biting. I hope that as more "serious" anglers join the site, it will become a more effective resource for west coast fishing info.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

getsome,
    Glad to see you here.
    Every fishing website has its style. Noreast.com where I moderate has very strict policy. A long time member was banned from the site just because he used Fxxx word jokingly. When you go to bloodydecks.com, they openly allow the curse.
    Hawk of Allcoast is a fine gentleman and is respected by all. His style is to moderate as little as possible.

You need to be get accepted from so called "resident regulars" on some sites. :)
    I wouldn't have joined senortuna.com if I didn't know Jureal or Wahoodad there. :)

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Kil: What board was it where the guy started telling you that you couldn't jig with a long rod and that you must not know anything about jigging? That was one of the funniest threads I ever saw.

Russ

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil: What board was it where the guy started telling you that you couldn't jig with a long rod and that you must not know anything about jigging? That was one of the funniest threads I ever saw.

Russ
    It was also Allcoast. :)
    Though we jigged tuna on the East Coast for a long time, tuna jigging was not popular even in 10 years ago. Many fishermen associate tuna fishing with short, heavy rods and heavy reels. When I talked about tuna jigging with small 3/0 reel and 8' jigging rod, they had hard time to understand it.

As many West Coast fishermen believe they need big reels like 50W for cow jigging, it was natural they couldn't accept my methods using small reels and long rods for jigging big tuna, and they didn't believe I jig 10 hours non-stop. :)

I made a big rookie mistake jokingly saying whether there were any hardcore tuna jig fishermen on the site as I got very few responses, and it irritated some regular. :)

17. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Very comical indeed! And you are right about Hawk. He is a gentleman on the board as well as in person.

18. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Hawk is definitely a class act.

19. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

It was very comical...

Yeah Buddy! I was in the midst of that un....

20. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

I don't think Mrbill needs advice. He's been an avid offshore fisherman since the mid seventies and can take care of himself. I'm sure he gave a few of those wanna-bees a little piece of his mind. He is very polite and shy until a certain level. :rolleyes:

I'll never forget one evening in Port Aransas. We were both single in our mid twenties. We had a hard Friday night chasing girls at a bait rich local bar. Saturday, we got a late mid morning start offshore. I remember it was a very hot day and the fluid inventory on the boat was running low with the sun about to set.

The boat ramp was almost empty as everyone had wrapped up their day. After putting the boat on the trailer, I jumped in the boat started handing the fish to Mrbill so he could take them inside the public fish cleaning house. On about his third trip, he told me their was a real jerk inside the fish house.:confused:

I continued cleaning up the boat. Gathering all the empty cans, trash, rewinding all the lures, taking off the electronics, cutting off swivels, etc. I could hear this guy in the fish house talking trash and never heard a comment out of Mrbill. I figured he was just being his usual shy self and I'd give the guy a piece of my mind when I got out of the boat.

As I was getting out of the boat, this guy came flying out of upper section above the fish tables.:eek: After he removed all the screen wire from himself he stood up and started yelling. I noticed that the guy was at least one hundred pounds lighter than Mrbill so I popped the last beer and sat down on the fender of the boat trailer to see what would happen next. :D

As the guy was yelling obscenities at Mrbill, he just kept packaging up the fish with an occasional stare at the guy. Mrbill came out the fish out sliding a big trash can with all the tails sticking out from the carcasses.
    This is when the fellow made a horrible mistake.:p He charged Mrbill only to find a big forearm planted on his forehead which sent him backwards. The guy was out cold. Mrbill casually picked the guy up and put him head first into the fish trash can. He then slid the can over and dumped the carcasses and this idiot into the fish dumpster.

I went into the fish house to help finish packaging up and ice down the fish. I noticed Mrbill was drinking a different brand of beer. Since I was still thirsty and hot, I helped myself and took out the remaining beer from his dumpster friend's cooler. To top off the event, we both took a final leak inside the fish house. The funny thing was we relieved ourselfs inside the guys cooler which was still full of lunch meats. I wonder if the guy made a sandwich the next morning!!!:D

My point here is that anybody can be bad to the bone typing in front of a computer screen. Maybe in the future, you will be Abel to see who you are teeing off before you type. That would probably end all the super egos on the Internet.