360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with two of my jigging rods(shimano deep jig 400 & Smith Ninra). After a days fishing it is impossible to separate the 2 sections of the rod, as I do not want to damage the rod by holding the guides is there a better way to free the 2 sections, the sections were not jammed tight and this is the first time that this has happened. I noticed that it will make thing worst if applied wax or lube to the rod.

Has this happened before and what is the best way to separate the sections? (hot water or cold water water)Also any advice on how to prevent the above happening again. Your help will be much appreciated,

Dan

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Try some dish soap, alcohol & warm water...You need to lube the ferrule or buy a one piece..

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
If all else fails remove gimbal and tap out with dowell.

Last trip it happened to me after big tuna. Carpenter tn87 had only rubber butt cap, I pried off, tapped out with dowell and replaced cap with fuji graphite gimbal. It is now lubricated with graphite. Hopefully this will prevent sticking.

·
1,105 Posts
I wonder if squirting in a little penetrating oil would hurt the resin. I've never done it but thought about it. I also have never tried dripping some oil (non-petro, such as cooking oil) into the joint and letting gravity pull it down into the opening as the rod stands in a corner for a couple of days.

Also, an old trick you may or may not know about--put a glove on each hand, assume a squatting position (no this is not a joke!) and hold the rod behind your knees. You should have one hand on each section of the rod. Then begin to pull the sections apart with a rotating motion of the hands and pressure on the gloved hands by the legs, moving outward.

I learned that in the 'fifties and it has never failed me.

Russ

·
1,321 Posts
Hot/cold sometimes works. pack the connection in ice for 10-20 minutes, and have some water boiling. After connection is cold, get ready to pull apart. Start pulling hard, and have someone gently pour the hod water over the connection as you pull. THe connection is cold, and the hot water causes the outer connection to expand for a nanosecond, before it then heats the inner section. Once all heated, it is all expanded the same. So you have to be pulling hard the instant the hot water hits it.

And make sure your helper does not pour the water in you lap. :)

·
1,211 Posts
Hi,

I am new to this forum but may be able to help. Try using rubber dishwashing gloves. They helped me pull my two piece rods apart when nothing else would help...simple but it worked.

Hope this helps.

·
1,105 Posts
Another piece of speculation--I wonder if powdered graphite would help and not get jammed--it is a great lubricant--but as a solid, I'm not sure it might not worsen the situation.

·
1,182 Posts
I have been told that when attaching the two pieces together, you should use a twisting motion as if screwing the pieces on. I just bought some joint wax from Randy's shop as a lot of guys have recommended using it.

G

·
I have been told that when attaching the two pieces together, you should use a twisting motion as if screwing the pieces on. I just bought some joint wax from Randy's shop as a lot of guys have recommended using it.
did you notice any difference?

·
1,211 Posts
Bret,

Yes that was the 54" pig that my 13 yr old son beat in just 15 minutes! Mine was only an 1 1/2" longer but FAT.... looked like it swallowed a weather balloon.

·
1,211 Posts
Bret,

My mistake...duh, the picture of me was from last year and that fish was just 47". Here is the photo of my son with his prize from Saturday. Sorry for highjacking the thread.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts