360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the Grappler Type C Medium class rod - GRPTYPCS80M - in the USA but cannot locate one.
Anybody have any suggestions/ seen one advertised?
I'll be fishing offshore in Guinea Bissau for large crevalles, cobia, baracuda etc.
I was also looking at the Medium Light version but feared it might not be up to the task but I'd be happy if anyone could say different because I can source the Medium Light class. - GRPTYPCS710ML

I could also go Medium Heavy but other posts have said each rod class in this range is 1 above itself (ML feels like M, M feels like MH etc).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen youtube vids of Heavy and Medium Heavy class rods and on the rod label attached to the rod, it states the size of fish (Kingfish and Tuna) the rod is capable of dealing with.
I would love to see this for the Medium Light rod if anybody could post it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Type C ML and it's one my favorites-casts a mile, great popper presentation and will do some jigging in a pinch. The ML is great for stripers, blues, etc (it's a 40lb max rod)...it does function more like a M in my opinion. Here's where you can source them, in stock: Shimano Grappler Type C Popping Rods

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is great feedback thanks D421. When you say it is a 40lb max rod, do you mean fish weight at 40lb or line weight or drag weight or something else?
Also, whats the biggest fish you have had on it and did it handle it well?

I'm planning to match it with 40lb suffix 832 on a Shimano Saragosa 6000.

I will be targeting, Jacks, Cobia, Snapper etc in the 20lb to 50lb weight class with the hope of a heavier fish mixed in.
Does this weight class rod feel up to it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It’s 40# line - so about 10-13lbs of drag max. I’ve had big blues, striper, and cod on it. I think the action on it is perfect for what it’s designed to do-throw poppers, stick baits, etc. what are you looking to catch with this and what kind of lures?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm planning to throw poppers, stickbaits and metals in the 40 gram to 100 gram range, mostly 50 to 70 gram.
Targeting fish realistically from 10lbs to 30lbs with the hope of some bigger fish, Jack Crevalles, Cobia, Snappers etc.
At a push, do you think it could manage the above?

I've seen the cardboard label on medium heavy and heavy versions that quote a fish size class. Do you remember the fish class on the label for this clas rod?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't see a fish size label-I have seen other reviews and agree with them that they are all rated about one level too low. So the ML is more like a M. I personally haven't used the rod for the fish you named, but I'd match the rod to the set up you want to run-lots of people fish for the same species with way different set ups-I like to be on the lighter side personally but if you set up for those species with 30-40# line and poppers up to 3oz (2oz is the sweet spot on that rod) then go for the ML. Looking quickly for you, I think you may be limited by inventory as well. Seems the M is hard to find. The MH is available at the Goose Hummock: SHIMANO GRAPPLER TYPE C SPINNING ROD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't see a fish size label-I have seen other reviews and agree with them that they are all rated about one level too low. So the ML is more like a M. I personally haven't used the rod for the fish you named, but I'd match the rod to the set up you want to run-lots of people fish for the same species with way different set ups-I like to be on the lighter side personally but if you set up for those species with 30-40# line and poppers up to 3oz (2oz is the sweet spot on that rod) then go for the ML. Looking quickly for you, I think you may be limited by inventory as well. Seems the M is hard to find. The MH is available at the Goose Hummock: SHIMANO GRAPPLER TYPE C SPINNING ROD
Thanks D421, that is more great info, I have one ordered so really looking forward to putting a bend in it now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts