360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for a reel to go with my calstar 800m rod, the setup will be used for targeting school tuna landbased up to 70lb. i will be fishing 25-30lb on this reel.

usually i would have gone down the tiagra 16 path, but i like the avet cause it's more unique and I'll get it with the magnetic cast control option. While casting is not necesary, it might come in handy in situations where you need to throw out a live bait.

ive herd the avets have binding problems, but is this only when they're pushed beyond their recomended drag rating? I'm only going to be fishing 15lb max drag as thats about the breaking point of 30lb line if you pushed it.

would you guys recomend this reel? is it good out of the box? does it require work? will it fish 15-20lb of drag without binding?

the next thing i want to find out is how much line i can get into it. it claims to hold over 700m of 50lb braid, so if i put a 600yd spool of braid in there, will i be able to get a 50-100yard top shot of 30lb mono on there?

just after some feedback on the reel and weather or not you think it will be suited to my application, would love to hear suggestions for alternatives too.

oh and ive search the forum and read every thread about avet already.

Thanks in advance!

·
310 Posts
MY03 JUST WANTED TO HELP YA A LITTLE WITH YOUR SEARCH, I SAW THAT YOU WANTED A NEW CONV REEL TO HANDLE SCHOOL TUNA, IS THERE A PRICE RANGE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR? IF NOT I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THE AVETS IVE HAD A FEW AND THERE REALLY NOT THAT GOOD OF REELS, THEY BIND THERE STICKY I JUST DONT LIKE THEM, HOWEVER IF YOU WANT TO SPEND A LITTLE MORE MONEY YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH ACCURATES, THEY ARE ABSOLUTE BEAST OF REELS, THE NEW ONES ARE GREAT AND YOU CAN GET SOEM OF THE OLDER MODLES FOR CHEEPER AND THEY ARE ALMOST AS GOOD. THE 870 WOULD BE FUN, OR YOU CAN GET THE NEW BX500 OR 600. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PURCHASE

·
145 Posts
I personally think the mxl would be a great choice for that rod and for the type of fishing you're doing. I like Avets for their size in comparison to the amount of line they hold and for the smoothness of the drags. For drag settings in the 10 to 15 lb. range the mxl will work just fine. I use Avets for alot of applications while on the water and never had problems with any of the 12 that I own.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks dante and tackle junkie, i have nominated the lx purely for capacity reasons, we want 500+ of line on there for landbased applications.

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
My LX has 500 yards of 60# JB Hollow Core and about 40 yards of 80# mono. The binding issue starts around 22#'s of drag at Strike. I fish it at 15-20 at Strike/25-28 at Full with full freespool and it is as smooth as butter. I did open it up and lube the spool bearings and grease everything else.

Also, I landed a 75# bluefin in under 5 minutes with it in October.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the feedback, I'm not very handy with reels do you recomend a service before i use it or is the drag quite smooth out of the box?

im probably going to go solid jb spectra in the 50lb, so i can get maybe fit a 600m spool and a 30lb top shot, does anyone know how much 30lb top shot i can fit after 600 of solid spectra?

i want to be able to fish a wide range of drags depending on what top shot and leader i use, whats the max drag you could push 50lb jb solid to?

thanks for the advice

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
I do recommend servicing Avets before use. They can be used straight out of the box, but you may run into problems. The dry drag needs to be broken in. I like to attach my lin to a car and have them drive off for a hundred yards or so up to 20-25mph with the drag set at about half. Repeat three times increasing the drag. Then it will be buttery smooth for the rest of its life. The oiling the spool bearings is to increase freespool spinning resistance. If you want that then you can do it. Greasing of everything else is for protection against corrosion. Avets are designed as open reels so they can be rinsed off with a lot of freshwater and then allowed to dry out. I grease everything so the saltwater can't get on any metal and then the rinse washes the salt away. It has worked for about 6 season for me now.

·
82 Posts
Good advice grease all bearings first
I have 3, Friend used 1 Landed 3 yellowfin 74 71 68 lots of big blacks very tough keep bearings greased

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the help guys, just tossing up between using 40lb and 50lb braid, will be fishing 30lb and 50lb top shops depending on location, will 40lb do the job since it breaks much higher than mono?

cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts