Advantage of a short jigging rod?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by rhale, May 5, 2008.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I am getting ready to build jigging rod for my Stella on a 600 gram OTI blank and I am unsure what I want the overall length to be. My plan was to build on the blank as is but I have noticed that alot of yall (I am from Texas) are cutting these blanks down and I wanted to know if there is any destinct advantage or disadvantage to the shorter rod?????
    All of my other jigging rods are conventional and are from 5'6" to 5'8" and I am happy with that length so is a shorter rod better because its for a spinner????
    Thanks in advance for any info.

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It is a fashion. :) I cut the OTI blank to 4'8" to see how it works compared to Hot Wei World rod, not because I believe the length is right.
    Every body has different physics and preference to fight tuna and the preferred length of rod shouldn't be the same.
    Years ago, stand-up tuna rods were getting shorter and shorter believing shorter rods give more leverage for fishermen and they used as short as 4' rods. Nowadays, the length of standup jigging rods are not short as it used to be.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i just built the 600g full length because thats what brent wanted:D
    so far all the OTI rods i have built have been full size

i cant imagine it being to long before some are getting cut:eek:
    VERY SOON:D :D
    its all a matter of personal use and choice

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

If I get this blank again, I might want it as a 5' acid wrapped conventional to see how that works. That would just be an experiment........the 5'6" rod is perfectly fine for me and thought it worked great. the shorter rod would just be lighter....I don't think there would be much in the way of an actual improvement in the jigging or fighting the fish.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

of course, this rod would be red and white :)

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

of course, this rod would be red and white :)
    who didnt know that:D :D

7. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

who didnt know that:D :D

But how do you do the pinstripes? And where do you get a decal that size for the Phillie Phanatic? :D

8. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I am not going to cut the blank and just build it at 5'6".

9. gman

gman Senior Member

I have had them all 6', 5'8, 5'2, finally 4'8. I can tell you this it is just like big game stand up fishing. The short rod gives you the most leverage but it has to fit your body structure like arm length & height. If you are a really tall guy a 4'8 rod may be too short for you

Im hooked on the Wei World 48XXH and the same 52EX (same blank) I like it because it weighs probably 7 ounces and I can jig all day long with it. It has great tip action and its an absolute animal for power. It does have some disadvantages as I don't feel comfortable fighting a fish with it in a belt because its so short. I really ideally like a 5'2 inch rod I feel its perfect for my body and style

The JM blanks Paul carries are very nice and still longer at 5'8. I have owned 2 of them and pound for pound the strongest rod on the market as its rated for like 45#'s of drag

10. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Thanks for the advice guys. I am not going to cut the blank and just build it at 5'6".
    good choice you will be VERY happy with the OTI Blank at full size

11. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Kil, I thought your 4'8 rod was short....PFFT!!! it's not even close to being short. Out in Cali the guy who makes these, Ed Robinson was there, and we spoke for a bit. His Whopper Stopper rods are only 3'8 and kick the crap out of fish with light line. Check them out, pretty cool, and makes your 4'8 look like a Surf rod: Whopper Stoppers mini rod - custom fishing rods.

12. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

The JM blanks Paul carries are very nice and still longer at 5'8. I have owned 2 of them and pound for pound the strongest rod on the market as its rated for like 45#'s of drag
    i think the 450g is getting cut tonight:D
    still trying to decide 400 or 450
    i have the 350g spin
    i think the 450g will fill the gap betwen the OTI 300 and 600;)

13. gman

gman Senior Member

i think the 450g is getting cut tonight:D
    still trying to decide 400 or 450
    i have the 350g spin
    i think the 450g will fill the gap betwen the OTI 300 and 600;)

500 is stiff but flexable i would go with 400G if I was doing it again. My old smith was 400g and handled big tuna and AJ's

14. bunile

bunile Senior Member

The longer the time that you are pulling up on a fish , the longer rod will definitely cause more strain on your back . The short rods will not cast out as far, so the best place to check out what length is how do you care to feel when pulling up a big one? I am using an 8 foot rod with 40 pound line and I am beat up on 40lb. Albacores after 20 minute fight. But I can out cast the open party boaters with shorter rods, and keep the line away from under the boat when fish is circling and I usually can keep from getting crossed up with other lines easier by going up and over these other short rods, so Until I get a big one down deep, the longer rod is more my style. Too short and you will not get enough bend going on and there won't be any lifting or alot less leverage.