360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I found the reel for me. Talica 25...33oz. Here is where it gets nutty. Stated line capacity 730yds of 80lb power pro. Get THIS!! I got 800yds of JB100 x-10, I can easily fit 900 but I want to be able to use a longer topshot. This reel weighs 8 oz less than a 16vsx and holds 300yds of JB100 MORE. I'm impressed. I like the antireverse, just gotta experience the "cranking power".

BTW...The stated line capacity of a Talica 20 is 575yds of 80. By doing some ratio math, I guess you could squeeze 708yds of JB100 on one????? Is it February yet?

I wanted to say thanks to Doug at Tackle Direct for helping me in my quest. I don't know if I should say this, but he got one in so we could check the actual capacity and told me that I was under no obligation if it did not meet my criteria. Great service, thanks again.

·
122 Posts
That seems odd. I bought a Talica 20 in October and got a little more than what it said but I did 500yds of 80lb power pro and 100yds 80lb Daiwa Saltist metered braid any my reel is pretty stuffed. Other than that, the reel seems pretty incredible, it just sucks that every tuna trip I had scheduled got cancelled due to weather problems. Someone really had it out for me this fall! Now I've got to wait until...oh say next July to use it.

G

·
OK, I found the reel for me. Talica 25...33oz. Here is where it gets nutty. Stated line capacity 730yds of 80lb power pro. Get THIS!! I got 800yds of JB100 x-10, I can easily fit 900 but I want to be able to use a longer topshot. This reel weighs 8 oz less than a 16vsx and holds 300yds of JB100 MORE. I'm impressed. I like the antireverse, just gotta experience the "cranking power".

BTW...The stated line capacity of a Talica 20 is 575yds of 80. By doing some ratio math, I guess you could squeeze 708yds of JB100 on one????? Is it February yet?

I wanted to say thanks to Doug at Tackle Direct for helping me in my quest. I don't know if I should say this, but he got one in so we could check the actual capacity and told me that I was under no obligation if it did not meet my criteria. Great service, thanks again.

greg did you spool it or did basil?

·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually Doug at TD did. I told him unless I could get 600yds (or more) of JB100 I didnt want it. I brought the 1500yd spool of x-10 that I got from Basil with me (which was cool since they do not carry it yet)

·
1,482 Posts
Embracing comes AFTER I evaluate the performance. Right now it just fits the criteria.

But still, I'm glad to see that someone is giving it a chance. I feel like people weren't even putting it in the running for these fish, especially cow yf!!!

I, like Kil, am VERY excited to read your review of the reel when you get back. I REALLY hope that it performs well!

When's your trip?

·
217 Posts
Can wait for the review, love my Talica's. Mine are not the cow chainfg type(due to size) but I would't even think twice to use a 20 or 25 on one. Good luck with the new reel, great choice on the line. John

·
4,723 Posts
Every Charter Capt in Venice,La has 4-6 talicas 25s on there boats that should speak for its self..

Shimano's hands are very far reaching to charter operations. Doesn't mean the Talica's are good/bad, I like them... hell I own some.. but Shimano has some powerful marketing strategies.

There are plenty of very good reels out there in the lever drag class of reels IMO.

·
6 Posts
We have been using the 16 2 speeds all season long for tuna off ms,al, and la fishing the shelf and green canyon, and so far they have been flawless. We have caught a lot of 80-120lb fish as well as one 250lb blue. I have never used a 20 or25 but based on the 16 I may buy one to put on my truck in case I get stuck. Lol!

·
1,482 Posts
We have been using the 16 2 speeds all season long for tuna off ms,al, and la fishing the shelf and green canyon, and so far they have been flawless. We have caught a lot of 80-120lb fish as well as one 250lb blue. I have never used a 20 or25 but based on the 16 I may buy one to put on my truck in case I get stuck. Lol!

haha - classic

1 - 20 of 31 Posts