Acid wrapped SS XXH review

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Capt. Mike Ellis, May 12, 2009.

1. Capt. Mike Ellis

Capt. Mike Ellis Member

I had to put this short report up talking about the new set of rods made for me by Paul from JPR rods. They are hands down the best tuna rods I have ever had built. I had some 7' 30-50 Super Seeker blanks and some 6'3" SS XXH blanks. The 7' rods will handle the winter wahoo fishing and the 6'3" are the tuna killers. I fished with some reps from Seeker rods back in Jan and after talking with them about how we fish the wahoo and tuna. Jim Scarletta gave me his opinion of what blank he recommended. The 7' rods were just the ticket for the wahoo with just enough tip and plenty of backbone. We never tried the tuna rods but after the first choice I trusted his judgement. Seeker doesn't offer a acid wrapped rod so this is where Paul comes in. I have heard alot of good things about his rods. And I was outfitting a boat for someone and he had a set built by Paul. I throughly checked out the rods and was impressed with them. So I contacted him to build me a set of wahoo and tuna rods. I just told Paul what I wanted and he offered a few suggestions. The finished product came out better than I ever expected. I told Paul the colors of my boat and what reels I was going to put on the rods and to make a killer butt wrap for me. [​IMG]
    The XXH have Torsa 40's on them with 80lb Jerry Brown ans 100 yard topshots of 60lb. diamond on them. This weekend was the first time they were on the water and they put a decent amount of tuna on the dock up to 130 and a couple of dolphin.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The wahoo rods will get a rest until the winter but they will be paired up with Trynos single speed 20's. I will have a couple of spinners wrapped and then I am all set.
    Capt. Mike
    Relentless Sportfishing

2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Very nice. I have been wanting to build a SS myself.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

mike. glad you like the rods.
    they look great hooked up.
    it was nice being able to do some real nice setups.
    thanks for the report.

4. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

where can i get mine :)

5. jig

jig Senior Member

I'm embarrassed to ask, and if you don't answer (or want to answer via PM) I understand, but here goes: Would it be possble to build an ecomomical acid wrapped rod, simple, nothing fancy? I am not talking crap components or skimping on things that matter (like guide underwraps), but simple components (graphite seat w/ alum hoods, SIC guides) and no fancy wraps, and an affordable blank (those jaws come to mind). I know you builders time is valuable, and the details take time.

Could you do a true 40#class and 60#class, 6.5' acid rod for under $200 each? I am currently fishing Ugly Stiks, but would be interested in experimenting with acid wrap if I could get something comparable.

BTW, I am not trying to dis or compare custom rods to anything low end. I just so happen to really like my Ugly Stiks, but I want to try the acid wraps.

6. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

7. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I'm embarrassed to ask, and if you don't answer (or want to answer via PM) I understand, but here goes: Would it be possble to build an ecomomical acid wrapped rod, simple, nothing fancy? I am not talking crap components or skimping on things that matter (like guide underwraps), but simple components (graphite seat w/ alum hoods, SIC guides) and no fancy wraps, and an affordable blank (those jaws come to mind). I know you builders time is valuable, and the details take time.

Could you do a true 40#class and 60#class, 6.5' acid rod for under $200 each? I am currently fishing Ugly Stiks, but would be interested in experimenting with acid wrap if I could get something comparable.

BTW, I am not trying to dis or compare custom rods to anything low end. I just so happen to really like my Ugly Stiks, but I want to try the acid wraps.

Call Capt Neil!

8. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

JPR rods has a "budget" rod for around $199.00 I think.

Yep...

Model:JPR300GC-56-MNSG
    Description:
    BUDGET CUSTOM ACID JIGGER 219.99

Features and benefits:
    Call for the NEW JIGGER....219.99 ACID WRAPPED. any colors you want great for bigger fish different size blanks GREAT STARTER ROD. 610-316-3594

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

JPR rods has a "budget" rod for around $199.00 I think.

Yep...

Model:JPR300GC-56-MNSG
    Description:
    BUDGET CUSTOM ACID JIGGER 219.99

Features and benefits:
    Call for the NEW JIGGER....219.99 ACID WRAPPED. any colors you want great for bigger fish different size blanks GREAT STARTER ROD. 610-316-3594
    thanks for posting that. ask for a discount when you order:D

i just put a may sale on OTI customs on SFC....
    enjoy

TUNA SEASONS COMING>>>
    for the rest of the month of may.
    and while blanks last.
    OTI CUSTOM SALE
    order your custom soon.

buy a custom OTI
    POPPING rod 7'6" in 50# or 80#.......325.00

buy a custom OTI
    JIGGING rod 5'6" 80#600g
    JIGGING rod 5'9" 50#300g
    JIGGING rod 6' 50#300g......275.00

Fuji sic guides on all rods.
    all colors grips avail.
    split grip
    whatever you want
    610316-3594...

10. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I have one of those custom acid jiggers from paul, put an avet 6/3 on it and its a blast! I have not yet tangled with anything larger than 15-20lb blackfin on it yet, but it performs superbly especially for the price!
    Thanks Paul!

11. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

need to check my bank account after my gfs prom but i think ill have to put an order in :) maybe even 2 or 3 :) tackle whoring at its finest :):):):):):)

12. rexonna2002@yahoo.com

[email protected] Junior member

Just a newbie here, i'm curious how much it cost to customs build a rod like that ?

thanks

13. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Very nice. I have been wanting to build a SS myself.
    You will love the ss blanks..they are sweet

14. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

I have one of those custom acid jiggers from paul, put an avet 6/3 on it and its a blast! I have not yet tangled with anything larger than 15-20lb blackfin on it yet, but it performs superbly especially for the price!
    Thanks Paul!

They are great valued rods! Me and my buddy are having Paul build two of the 300grm rods up. People really gotta feel the blank to appreciate it. They are sweet. Can't wait to tear some fish up.

15. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Just a newbie here, i'm curious how much it cost to customs build a rod like that ?

thanks
    with SS seeker blanks and all aftco gold seat and gimbal.Fugi Sic guides..around 420.
    Mike wanted a real SWEET wrap.
    so it was a little more:D

ya gotta call ..

16. titan05

titan05 Junior member

Fished a Super Seeker 6463XXXH that was acid wrapped back in November and smoked a 173 pound yellowfin out of San Diego. Direct pressure on the fish and zero rod twist.....it was not a fair fight.

The SS rod is sweet. Try one.....you will really like it. Softer tip but plenty of backbone. For smaller fish I use a SS 970 and for Jigs....the Ulua 10 foot.........glad to see that seeker is making it's way out to the gulf area.....we have become spoiled out here on the west coast and you will too once you get to fish these sticks.

17. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Fished a Super Seeker 6463XXXH that was acid wrapped back in November and smoked a 173 pound yellowfin out of San Diego. Direct pressure on the fish and zero rod twist.....it was not a fair fight.

The SS rod is sweet. Try one.....you will really like it. Softer tip but plenty of backbone. For smaller fish I use a SS 970 and for Jigs....the Ulua 10 foot.........glad to see that seeker is making it's way out to the gulf area.....we have become spoiled out here on the west coast and you will too once you get to fish these sticks.
    nothing new out here:D :D
    these SS are some sweet sticks.
    http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f67/super-seekers-win-ma500-3075/

18. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Thanks Paul!
    They are ALOT of fun. glad you like.
    and using the different blanks. you can get a great jigging rod for inshore fish to BIG fish.

i think this is yours:D

Attached Files:

19. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

:D Sure is, She is in the rack in my garage freshly washed after my fourchon trip! BTW I am going to have to get you to build up a couple of JM spinners for me. I bought a 400 PS from Kil and fell in love with a new kind of jiggin stick. Going to sell of some of my converntionals and buy a couple more stellas for jigging:D

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you guys like SS XXH, you'll love new SS Hercules jigging blnaks Seeker developed according to Billy40's specification.