acid wrapped rollers?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by fishr1989, Apr 6, 2008.

1. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

can you acid wrap the aftco lightweight rollers? I am thinking about having a rod made with them and was wondering if it was possible.

thanks

2. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

The only acid wrap rollers I know of are the Neptunes from All American. You definitely can't do acid wraps with any of Aftco's offerings.

Unless you're dead set on rollers, for acid wraps, I'd recommend SIC ring guides instead.

3. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

that's what i suspected, but was still curious. the neptune rollers are pretty sweet, I saw a stand up spinning rod with them, 3 ring guides and 5 neptune rollers. It looked like the ultimate shark spinner. :D

I think i may go with the ALPS ring guides and an acid wrap, the new recessed ring looks killer, and pretty bombproof as well. I'm thinking triangular foregrip, ALPS guides, and either an eva butt or maybe just a straight deckhand wrap with corktape.

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

here is mine..:D

SWEET.

ya never know what ya can get till ya ask:D :D :D

Attached Files:

5. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

:eek: I LOVE that rod. What line is it rated for, and how much would it cost to get one. :p

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

:eek: I LOVE that rod. What line is it rated for, and how much would it cost to get one. :p
    that has the graphiter blank rated for about 60# line
    with the black rollers, they are around 400
    there are different color roller guides
    and different blanks avail

7. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

how did you like the blank for casting? was the buyer using it for tune popping?

8. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

how did you like the blank for casting? was the buyer using it for tune popping?
    cast good,

the story about the rod..(a rodbuilder,(ST) ) was asked by a well known reel company to design a rod to match a new spin reel. this rod is basiclly what came out of it.
    the rod as far as i know. was broken in on a 350#est blue marlin and a 150# tuna, the rod works perfectly
    i had spoken to the original builder about making these. he said go for it

no one seemed to be building any..SO. This Is mine..its a great design. a little modified,
    but the rod has been used for bottom fish to top water all seem to work well
    there are a ton of blanks we use, and a few different ring guides, the roller guides come in different colors

9. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

back to the orignal question. no the aftco rollers wont' work. i have several acid wrapped rods with the all american rollers. the only issue i have found is that you will need to fish heavier spectre with the roller guides as the 80lb or less spectre can slide off the roller and get pinched in between the frame and the roller....rick