Accurate's new 30 & 50 Boss Style Reel

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MrBill, Mar 30, 2008.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Accurate must see the market needing a less expensive 30 and 50 size reel than their current Platinum series. These were only seen by a small amount of people at the Fred Hall show. These prototypes look like a BIG Boss.
    I'm sure it's about six months before it's finally introduced, but I think they will sell a bunch of them as long as they keep them priced in line with the Tiagra's.

Here's a link to some photo's of the prototype. I can't believe they are even considering those wiffle ball knobs for these reels.:mad:
    Fred Hall Long Beach 2008 Show Coverage Saltwater

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

They look like larger sizes of their Boss reels. It'll be interesting to see what the finished product looks like.

DBG

3. gman

gman Senior Member

If the reels perform like the ATD series they will kill it if they are priced right.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

wow that would be great. of course you've got to swap out those lame little handles. but yeah if they perform well enough they will sell a lot (probably one to me too) :)

5. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

I can't believe those turkeys are putting out reels like that without harness lugs... particularly the 50# reel.

????

6. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I keep telling you, you gotta learn to love the rail! But remember it's just a prototype for now. I'm sure the lug option will be there, or it may be something like the Avet HooX - a retractable/reversable lug!

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i dont like railing, it isnt comfortable as i cant really fit right. but you can just get the aftermarket lugs if you prefer. if they're light enough it shouldnt be a huge problem.

8. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Would you rather have a 30 like this or a 665w for chunking or bottom fishing ?

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Would you rather have a 30 like this or a 665w for chunking or bottom fishing ?

In the GOM the 665W two speed should handle all of your chunking and bottom fishing needs.

I believe the two new reels are mean't to fill a gap in higher priced ATD series and the smaller boss series. The ATD's will still remain the flagship model. As long as Accurate can keep these reels priced near the International's and Tiagra's I think they will take a nice market share from Shimano and Penn.

I would guess these reels aren't intended for jigging. The trolling market and cow tuna chunkers will go after these reels. Lug's will be a must, as most small to mid size boat owners use the stand-up style of fishing. It's my opinion that the little golf ball knob should be tossed off the drawing board for this size reel. The standard ATD knob should be used as the standard knob for these reels.

I also don't see the need for the cast control on this size reel. On the boss series I think it is nice. All it will do is just get in the way and take away a nice clean looking appearance on these larger capacity reels.

10. tehtuna

tehtuna Junior member

They are sweet reels, I played
    with them at the show. They are going to have lugs on them so don't worry. The reels are very rough prototypes and I think there are alot of changes that are going to be made. Ill ask Ben if those are the handles that are going to be on them when I see him next.

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

If those ain't oversized Bosses, I'll eat my blood-soaked Topsiders. And if I were one of you guys with the ability to dig into a reel and know what I was looking at, I would want to know if the innards of those reels are larger versions of the Boss reels--if so, I would worry about putting anywhere near the drag on them that you can put on a comparable size ATD. My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) of the ATD reels is that you simply cannot set the drag high enough to damage the innards of the reel--sure you can bust a bunch of rods, but not the reel itself. But on the Boss, you can and I have. And Melton's catalog states that the max drag of the 665 is 25 pounds. So they know something. Accurate wouldn't discuss it with me.

Those little knobs where you "set" the drag are ominously like the Boss reel drag knobs--nothing like the honking preset levers on other reels.

I know not too many people had the same problems that drifter and I experienced, but I'm just saying...if you lock an ATD 50 wide down and are man enough to pull max drag off of it (not claiming I am) it doesn't make strange croaking noises. Don't get me wrong--I am a huge Accurate fan--I also bought a third 665W and like it and will keep it for jigging, but I won't put over 20 pounds of drag on it.

Russ

12. bunile

bunile Senior Member

There is a nicer than 10 years ago outlook with all the major mfgrs. reels, I'd say that they are NARROWING it down just right.The key word is narrow with the best , smooth drag and light enough for a wimp to hold for an hour or two a day. Like when they came out with 40.oz beers, for after work.But honey, I only had one beer!!!One good thirty reel will cover alot of ground, so long as you can get enough top shots and arms strong enough to put them to good use.

13. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Russ,
    There were some problems with the ATDs a couple of years that I think have been fixed now. Do a search for ATD Failure on allcoast.
    Avet Explosion
    ATD Problems

. My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) of the ATD reels is that you simply cannot set the drag high enough to damage the innards of the reel--sure you can bust a bunch of rods, but not the reel itself.

Russ

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Thanks, Kevin. That was an excellent thread--read it from beginning to end. I have an older 50W that I suppose could potentially experience the C-clip problem and a brand new, unfished ATD12. What I have found with the Boss 665 2 speeds I have had pass through my hands is that any drag much beyond 20 pounds started causing the clicker to make noises like a dying duck. Then, with most of them, if you backed off, the sound returned to normal. However, with the first one I had, before I saw on Melton's website that max drag was 25 pounds, I made the mistake of reading the minimal little manual that came with the reeel and it said: "Because the Boss has twin drags, feel free to crank the drag up to whatever you want." Well, I did and the reel didn't. Something went dreadfully wrong inside. I sent it back to Accurate and they told me it never left the factory that way and they speculated on whether someone at Melton's had done something like take it apart. I told them "Hell no, it didn't leave the factory that way--I read your manual and set the drag at about 35-40 pounds and pulled on it and then it started making the noise. They replaced the reel and now I don't put the drag over about 20-23 pounds.

The other issue I had with Accurate was that they in no way lived up to what one of the posters on that thread said--that they would be scrupulously honest about what the problem was. They promised to get back to me once they broke the reel down--but no--not a word--even when I called them back. Now I realize I am not one of their real high-roller clients who buy 50 or a hundred reels. But I did hope they would let me know what happened. That all having been said, I still love their products and will not back off from owning them.

Russ

15. jig

jig Senior Member

I want one in 50 size for 80# mono, for bottom fishing. The tiagras are too heavy for my taste.

I love my 665W. I hope I did not just jinx it.

16. Staven

Staven Senior Member

Uncle Russ,

YOu make a interesting point on owning up to what is actually wrong with the product. But I dont think that is something special with Accurate. My Avets have failed a few times, most of it being cheap a*s chinease freaking bearings, but Avet refused to admit anything was wrong. They just sent back a fixed real with no explanation. The only company that I have seen that states on a paper what was wrong with the reel I sent in is Shimano. Till today no company in my experience has the customer support that Shimano does. Heck the people at accurate cant even get my parts order correct half of the time. Sending me wrong handles and screw assembly that does not fit the handle ordered. Still I own 9 accurates and just got another today.

You want to set your reel at 40 lb of drag and not worry. Get a Alutecnos Gorilla 12. Weighs 26 oz and it holds 360 yds of 80 lb suffix braid. Beast and built like a tank yet still light. My Gorilla 20 holds 400 yds of 100 suffix braid and has lugs. Weighs 35 oz. I just wish they were two speeds.

Those reels at the show look interesting, but I definitely need to wait for the finished product to see if I will buy some more tackle i don't need;)

17. gman

gman Senior Member

Ive actually loved owning accurate reels, I love how they document your starting drag, I love that you can send the reels in for updates and I have personally found their customer service to be adequate although not the best. The tech reps they have gone out of their way for me on questions I had.

Ive gotten my accurate 665 up over 30 lbs with no problem and to be honest I fish with my clicker off so it didn't raise any red flags for me but just like any product there will always be defective ones and issues. They rushed these reels to market and pre sold a huge quantity Im actually surprised that there werent more issues with the reel.

The second one I bought in Black definately felt a little smoother than the first one I recieved (my first was actually one of the first 665's made)

Im sure the new reels in the 30 and 50 size will fly off the shelves

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

staven and gman:You are right of course that no company wants to advertise the problems they do have. As for Accurate, I am up to 5 now, including another 665S-2 speed. What was weird was that Louis (Drifter) and I had 3 bad ones between us. I had hoped that by waiting to order for a while, I would get a higher serial number. I ended up with another one in the 300 s. Sheesh. Don't get me wrong--I do NOT want to crank it up over 20-25 pounds--it just should not rip it apart to do so--and I know it sounds strange (and even questionable) but that is what happened.

Russ

19. gman

gman Senior Member

I wasn't doubting you at all, you are right on your accounts. When the reel was in the pre-order stage I originally called them asking where my reel was because I was promised a certain date, I called George (production manager) daily (poor guy). He informed me that the gears weren't right and that the original testes reels weren't working like the successful 870-2 speeds. I was amazed at his honesty and appreciated it. I got my reel shortly afterwards maybe 2 weeks, it missed my trip but I was glad to finally have it and it worked great.

I guess its just who you get on the phone at the time, I appreciated his candor, he didn't try to lie or get out of it he plain told me "they aren't ready yet, they aren't working right, once we get it working yours will go out" He even called me to tell me it shipped. That type of response even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear got me hooked on them for life

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The new B2-30 is now arriving at tackle stores. The B2-50 hasn't shipped yet. They have put on a new handle on the latest shipment. I almost bought one last night, but being a bottom feeder, I think I'll wait a couple of months. I'm not sure if the new handle will work for me. That's OK, I have over 15 pre-made Chingon's that fit my hands perfectly just waiting for a new reel.:D

The B2-30 is 3 1/2" in diameter. Below is a pic of the new style handle.

If you haven't' see this write up on the new Boss extreme reels go here.

B2-30 - $629 400yds/50 mono, 36 oz, 5:1/2:1 ratio
    B2-50 $649 500yds/60 mono, 41 oz, 5:1/2:1 ratio

ICAST 2008 Accurate2 Speed Boss Extreme Reels

Attached Files: