Accurate Twinspin

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Staven, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Staven

Staven Senior Member

Well I bit the bullet and I bought what I thought were two good reels. The Twinspin 30L and the 20. Not going fishing for a while until I hit Panama in July, as I dont have the time to go fishing due to work.

My concern is are these reels that good or am I better off buying a couple of stella for the trip. Mainly jigging for tuna, snapper and trying to jig and pop some roosters.

My other problem is the handles BLOW!!!! Now my paws are a bit smaller then some of you guys. I am only 5'6", But the handles still suck. Is there any after market handle that will fit the reel like a shimano stella 20K handle maybe? is there a good way to attach that one to a Twinspin. I know it would look funny a rubber grip on that shiny silver reel but hell it would feel ten times better jigging.

thanks for the help and info. Just want to make sure I got good gear before the trip.

2. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

the twinspins are on par with the sellas IMO, many of the members on the board would agree. they are a bit louder when turning the handle, but are built to the same standards.

as for the grip, you might be able to get one of these to fit the handle
    Angler's Pro Shop

there are a number of other aftermarket handles on the market, many of the other members can point you in the right direction

I know bucko's parts and tackle carries the stella handle, it's 36 shipped, as long as the accurate handle is screwed on, rather than riveted, you should be able to get any after market handle to fit as long as the pin is the same size.

BUCKO'S TACKLE SERVICE

3. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

I thought I've seen a Twin Spin re-fitted with the same handle knob off the ATD series reels or was I daydreaming :confused:

4. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

I thought I've seen a Twin Spin re-fitted with the same handle knob off the ATD series reels or was I daydreaming :confused:

Yes, you can and I have purchased my Accurate spinners with the ATD handle and find it fantastic. Its an easy change over or you can send it back to Accurate for the change out of knobs. I happened to put the ATD12 Handle on mine but I have smaller hands. My suggestion would be to go to your local tackle shop and see how your hands fit around the different size ATD handles. The only thing to consider, just like the Stellas, as you go to a bigger handle the balance changes. I have no problem with that but check it out before deciding. If you have a great tackle shop they may even allow you to fit a few different knobs on your spinners to see how you like the feel and then order what you need.

I LOVE my 12 size Accurate spinner for tuna and wahoo and will have a 20 here soon. The ball knob or Platinum knob is purely personal preference but for bigger fish I like the Platinum knob.

As a note: These reels are off the hook for power, smoothness of drags and ease of use. I love the simplicity of changing out the spare spools without having to re adjust your drag settings.

JMHO

Jamie

5. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

that's pretty slick, it's nice to have another reel company aside from shimano where the handles can be exchanged between reels to fit different hand sizes. :) I have heard rumors that you can do it with some of the older aluminum AVET handles, the 4/0 to 5/0 handle seems to be a popular trade, but for people with smaller hands, the new soft grip handles are SWEET.

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I love my twinspins, but the factory wiffle ball is a joke in my hands. So, I took on a project to get the perfect knob for me. I'm now happy and even have spares for future purchases. :D I also use them on 665's. The people at accurate say everyone loves them. I have yet to meet anyone that likes it. It's just plain to small. It would be great for a 12 year girl. Not for me. Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i agree, the ball is awful.

8. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Hey MrBill, you wanna get rid of those stock handle knobs? :D

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Hey MrBill, you wanna get rid of those stock handle knobs? :D

No for now. I'm in the process of making them into trolling lure heads. I think they will make a great chugging jet style lure head.:eek: Attaching skirts to the neck of the whiffle knob this week. It might be a winner. Time will tell. Accurate might thank me for this lure, as they might be getting into the lure head business if this "Whiffle Head" lure is productive.

The problem with changing out the whiffle ball to the Chingon handle is the machining. The whiffle ball uses a stainless steel shaft with a bearing on each end. The bearings are different sizes. The tolerances are very tight. Machining the larger handle to fit the standard accurate shaft caused about six to go into the trash can. But, once done properly, they are great. I dished out the back side a lot more than my first ones and it saved two ounces. The new ones aren't really very heavy. Probably twice the weight of the whiffle ball.

I have around twenty five made up now for other reels. :D Just waiting on the shafts to be machined. These won't use the accurate shaft. More universal and could be used on accurates if needed.

10. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Just think Mr. Bill....if you teach Hyperman how to use a lathe and drill....you could churn out about one hundred of those custom made handles per hour.

:D

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Just think Mr. Bill....if you teach Hyperman how to use a lathe and drill....you could churn out about one hundred of those custom made handles per hour.

:D

Yea, but I couldn't afford to buy one hundred reels and hour!!!!!!:mad:
    It's tough being poor wondering where your next meal is going to come from.

12. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Jamie: You no good @#$%*@. :) Now you've gone and done it. I have been teetering on the brink of adding a 12 to my Accurte stable, and almost went over the edge when I saw the video on the Accuratefishing website--guy hauls in a fairly nice GT on the "little" reel. Now I guess I have to have one. But I swear, Pilgrim: I don't need a 20. I don't need a 20. I don't need a 20...

Russ

13. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Russ,

ROFL, It only hurts until you are coddling that new reel in your hands dreaming of tuna and G.T.s. Then the pain just fades into bliss.

Enjoy

Jamie