Accurate SR50

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

When Accurate accounced that they make TwinSpin SR50 for cow or marlin, I was skeptical whether there are enough buyers. The SR50 is a mass reel with 41 oz weight and line capacity of 450 yards of 130 lbs braided line.

One SR50 arrived today and I had a chance to look at it. Wow, it is like spinning reel version of 50W. :)
    You can catch a 500 lbs giant as long as you have a stamina to fight a giant with the reel. It looks solid and the turning of handle is not bad at all.
    I am wondering who is going to be the first guy who catch a big marlin with the reel. :)

size comparison between SR50 and SR20
    [​IMG]

size comaparison between Shimano Stella 20000SW and SR50
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Kil- I am taking mine to venice next week for a trial run prior to 10 days in CR in march. Mated the reel to a JPR custom that paul has buildt for me. I hope to have some mind blowing pics in about three or four weeks.

3. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

He could cast anything farther than anyone else with this reel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it! BTW what rod is that mounted on? I purchased with deep jigging in mind, hadn't really thought about popping with it due to size and weight.

5. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

The SevenSeas AtomicSword is a good choice for this reel, its rated to target
    fish over 150kg. This rod will keep up with this monster reel.

Specs- PE 12
    1000G JIG

But the price might scare lots of people $2,000:eek:

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I give props to anyone who can last all day jigging 1000G jigs... that's jigging with 2.2 lbs... lol

7. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Price never scares me, 1000G jigs, now that scares me!

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I spent 6 hours today filling up spinners with new line. I went to a lot of trouble to use 18#'s of constant drag force to spool the reels. I first put the line on a Tiagra 50wlrsa and then placed the rod and tiagra reel in a rod holder. I then set the drag on the tiagra to 18#'s. I then sat in a chair with a rod huki and physically cranked in the various lines using different spinning reels.

Let me just say, I am one beat bastard. Direct cranking of 18#'s of drag without using the rod is very hard. Especially on the high gear ratio reels. The extreme handle on the SR50 was replaced after my first 100 yards of line. The combination of the offset knob with the offset handle on the reel was just to much offset. After I replaced the extreme knob with one of my own full size handles, it was at least 100% better.:)

I got 527 yards of 100# JB solid on the SR50 along with 18' of 130# Jinkai mono leader.

Can you find the big boy in the picture?

Attached Files:

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Various size spools.

Attached Files:

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

MrBill,
    How do you like SR50 ? Do you think they use the same frame for SR30 and SR50 ?

11. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Hi Bill,

Glad to see you got your reel. I also see you agree we me that although I love that Extreme handle the combined offsets are too much. I had mine made with the Platinum knob and it is off the hook.

I too used 100 pound hollow. My last trip in Feb. I used this reel in combination with a Super Seeker 6463XXXH custom built to my specifications for this rod. I went longer in the butt section and put on an All American under rod roller tip and SIC guides for the rest. I fish bait with mine and love this setup. For Big tuna Jigging I might consider a non roller tip for ease of casting.

I used this set up several times on this trip with the results of larger sharks coming to the boat in minutes and a couple of yellowfin tuna around the 100# plus range along with a few smallers. This reel is off the hook and when combined with my thunder down under it took no time at all to bring in that size tuna. I am still hoping to land some biggers in April.

Without question this reel has plenty of beef for the ultra size fish. It is different than the 30, made on a different platform, as everything is bigger.
    There is no question in my mind that 200# tuna will soon be caught on this rig and many folks will begin to believe the spinners have a real future in big fish fishing.

For throwing jigs or artificials this reel is awesome and for bait even more so as the live bait does not have to pull against a conventional spool. In truth, the live baits are so lively I have to slow them down so they do not run past the zone. FANTASTIC.

Jamie

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Jamie,

I think its the same. I measured it with calipers.:eek: It's the same gear ratio 4:1 as the SR30L. From the outside (I didn't open up the cases) it looks like they turned a larger rotor, spool, bail wire and put it on the 30L frame. Even the drag cap and the spool shaft is the same size.

I gave the gear case good workout yesterday cranking on all that line. I was making faces and grinding my teeth cranking on all the line with heavy pressure. My wife (who knows not to bother me when I'm messing with tackle) came over and told me my face was red. At this point I will tell you that the gear case has passed my stress test.:)

I took some pics yesterday of the rotors with the spools off. See below.
    I assume the holes in the rotors are for two reasons. One is for balancing the rotor, and the other is water drainage.

I plan on catching a cow on this reel this month. Hopefully more than one. It that doesn't happen, a least a very large marlin.:) You might think I'm nut's but I'm having a special 2-pc 7'6" 100-130# casting rod made for this reel. Catching a cow on a popper is my goal with this reel.

Attached Files:

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Good luck MrBill, it will be a good accomplishment if you can get it done.

14. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

More SR50 pics from EXCEL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]