360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background- yankee(tuna/striper fisherman) by birth, southern(grouper/snapper) as of now.

It has taken a few years of fine tuning to a new style of fishing but after some spent money and some great times on the water I have come to the conclusion of what I like and don't like for the type of fishing I do.

I love live bait(carolina rig) style fishing for grouper/snapper/AJ. My go to setup has become a B-197 and a JM 300g Power Spell with 60# JB. I like this setup in 100' and under.

I bought a BX-2 600 and an OTI 400g that works but I find myself reaching for the JM more than not. Problem is that the 300g is a bit light for the 200'+ range. I'm going to get another JM and a BX-500XN for the deeper water and sell the OTI and BX2.

First question: Is 400g on the JM suitable for this? Heavier than that even?

Next Part: I picked up a OTI/Saragosa combo and MUCH prefer jigging with the spinner over conventional. Due to my fondness of the JM and not having any good tackle shops close by(to hold and play with different rods) I am considering a JM spinner in the 300-350g range and a Accurate SR-20. Don't hate me, I'm not a big fan of Shimano and I just want one really good set up. What do you think of these setups?

Knowing the JM and Accurate products I feel very comfortable purchasing these outfits to suit MY style of fishing. If there is anything you all could add to help out I would appreciate it.

Side note: I will be selling all of the stuff I am replacing and will have that stuff up in a new thread in a few days. The list will include:OTI 400g conventional and spinner(new and slightly used), Penn Torque 200, BX2-600 and Saragosa 6000(slightly used). I will happily split stuff or pair for different combo's.

Hopefully they don't shut down the fishing as proposed, or I won't be able to use any of it!

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much for the oti 400g?and when are you going to sell them?

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start trouble. I wanted to put them up with pictures so there were no misunderstandings on condition and such. If you'd like to reserve something pending your approval send it via PM.

Now what about those JM/Accurates?

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have the jm 400 with the accurate sr-20 and the jm 400 with the bx2-500 and i love them wont change the for the world..

Did you do a custom on the 400g/SR-20? I think I want a bit more length than stock JM's offer on the spinner. It will be the only spinner I'll use so I want a bit more length for casting.

I'm pretty confident in the conventional setup I want. I have the bx2-600, but for how I fish I can get away with the single speed and a narrow and save a few ounces.

Thanks for the response.

·
91 Posts
Did you do a custom on the 400g/SR-20? I think I want a bit more length than stock JM's offer on the spinner. It will be the only spinner I'll use so I want a bit more length for casting.

I'm pretty confident in the conventional setup I want. I have the bx2-600, but for how I fish I can get away with the single speed and a narrow and save a few ounces.

Thanks for the response.

no my spinning outfit is stock but i did go custom on my conventional (wrap),for casting i just went with the tuna sniper and i will probably use my sr-20 on myntuna sniper,i need a rod for my sr-30L,im undecided on a rod for that reel,lol,:confused:

·
91 Posts

Thanks for the response.

oh yeah i almost forgot to advise you that if you do decide on the jm powerspell 400 you may want to inquire about the problem some folks reported having with the reel seats spinning on them,not all of them but there were a few out there experiencing that.i did not happen to me but a very well known rod builder here in N.Y. took care of both my jm's for an added sense of security for me,:cool: :eek: ,if you do decide on the 400 i advise you cover yourself just in case cuz you dont want to find out on the fish of a lifetime,lol...:rolleyes: :mad:

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
oh yeah i almost forgot to advise you that if you do decide on the jm powerspell 400 you may want to inquire about the problem some folks reported having with the reel seats spinning on them,not all of them but there were a few out there experiencing that.i did not happen to me but a very well known rod builder here in N.Y. took care of both my jm's for an added sense of security for me,:cool: :eek: ,if you do decide on the 400 i advise you cover yourself just in case cuz you dont want to find out on the fish of a lifetime,lol...:rolleyes: :mad:
I don't have any issue with 400g rod yet, but a few 400g rods purchased on ebay reportedly had reel seat problems.
I fix reel seat problem free at my cost for one year after purchasing date.

·
91 Posts
I don't have any issue with 400g rod yet, but a few 400g rods purchased on ebay reportedly had reel seat problems.
I fix reel seat problem free at my cost for one year after purchasing date.

hello ksong,thanks for the hospitality when my buddy and i went to your store a while back,i love the jm rods and appreciate you sharing what you knew of the potential problem with the reel seat,i wish more people would be honest about what they sell rather than just counting the money,i need to do a little xmas shopping for me ,lol,i will let you know a day before i head over.see you soon,:D ;) :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts