Accurate hard to put into gear

Discussion in 'Reels' started by gmack, May 25, 2008.

1. gmack

gmack Senior Member

I strung up my Accurate B2-665N today with 80# braid. Set drag to 25#. It's hard to put the lever back into gear from free spool. Is that normal? It wasn't hard to do so at low drag settings.

Thanks!
    Gary

2. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 665W 2-speed. Accurate resolved it by changing a cam. It now has great drag ramp-up and very smooth lever movement (I've tested the drag over 30lbs)

3. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Mine is a little stiff to get out of free spool but once you get past that spot it is smooth the rest of the way. The higher the preset drag is the stiffer that spot becomes but its nothing out of the ordinary as my Avets do the same thing when you crank up the preset drag.

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have the same experience with mine as rhale. I must have the same cam which Accurate told Drifter had been used in his reel (and which they replaced with one from the single-speed Boss's.) But the ramp-up in drag doesn't bother me as much as it did him, so I have not had the cam replaced.

Also, my brand new ATD12 is extremely hard to get out of freespool on the highest drag settings. It has pre-sets labelled "A" through "O", and in "M" and above, you have to push like mother with a 15 pound baby to get that sucker out of freespool. But that doesn't worry me, because, at the "O" setting, the drag just past freespool is 40 pounds and at strike it is 55! I don't have the courage to pull on it at full.

Russ

5. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Thanks guys. TJ also offered me some advice of backing out the side plate screws slightly and lock tight them in place. I sent a message to Accurate to see what they have to say. If they can put another cam in to alleviate the problem that it was I want done.

Thanks again!

Gary

6. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

ever get the issue resolved Gary?

7. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Brian,

After spooling up the reel I mounted it on the rod and snapped that sucker. Paul is making me a custom jigging master to replace it. I haven't played with the Accurate since. I've been fishing almost every weekend and using my Penn Baja Special (baddass reel!) and saltist. I may have time this weekend to play with it some more. I don't think it will be a problem. One of the Accurate owners gave me his number to call him if I had any problems. I was impressed with that. I bought a 870 6:1 that I haven't received yet.

Gary