Accurate DFS Slammer Reel

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MrBill, Oct 30, 2008.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The loss of the clicker and the cast control on the DFS Slammer 665 makes a lot of sense to me. The accu-cast knob gets in the way and causes many people to have trouble adjusting the preset drag control properly. I think it's a bold and wise move for accurate. Clickers are great for trolling or if you aren't attending a reel. If jigging, the reel is always in your hand so why a clicker.

This is more of a pure jigging reel. I also like the fact that the little bitty golf ball knob is history. If you haven't tried the new extreme handle, I will tell you that it is a vast improvement. The most comfortable stock handle I have ever used on a reel besides the Large Tiagra's stock handle.

Attached Files:

2. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Mr . Bill
    How about, if I am chunking or free line.Don t you think clicker is need it?
    What kind a rod is it ?

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Not if the reel is in your hand. Let your chunk out in free spool. Use your thumb to control the rate of the drifting chunk. Faster is better. Once it gets in the current, let her rip. The faster the better. The whole idea is to let your hooked chunk drift the same speed as all the other tossed over chum. Keep your thumb on the spool at all times. You will feel the tuna take the bait. Slide down the drag lever with your other hand while still using your thumb. Works every time. Clickers are for un-attended rods.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I had heard that you could get the Slammer side plates for the 665 if you already have one. Have you heard that ?

d-a

5. stresst

stresst Senior Member

I had heard that you could get the Slammer side plates for the 665 if you already have one. Have you heard that ?

d-a

I dont think so, from what Accurate what saying iis that they were comming out with a "beefed" up 665 and I think this is it. Not 100% thou, just my guess. And this being a single speed narrow this reel should be around 450 or so,once again JMO

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

so this is the new 665 with the stronger gears? mr bill....can you perform some cranking tests to see if this is suitable for jigging? when i used the saltiga 40, i was amazed at how strong the cranking power of that little 3/0 reel was. the ocea seemed similar, but i only caught blues and doggies with it.

if they fixed the gearing problem, this will be an excellent reel. 2 speeds isn't really necessary either.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

oh....and i hate clickers and cast controls...just more knobs to get in the way, clickers especially. the only reels that should have clickers are thoes that you're planning on using while surf fishing and stuck in a rod holder all day. on a boat its totally useless IMO.

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i thought clickers were for catfishing??? :) LOL! I like the reel! looks nice.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

d-a
    The 665 or any accurate (boss or ATD) does not have side plates. The left side or palm side is machined from one solid piece of aluminum billet. You need a whole new frame without the holes for the casting control and clicker. It's my understanding that Accurate will make you a 665 or any size boss without the cast control or clicker.

10. stresst

stresst Senior Member

The 665 or any accurate (boss or ATD) does not have side plates. The left side or palm side is machined from one solid piece of aluminum billet. You need a whole new frame without the holes for the casting control and clicker. It's my understanding that Accurate will make you a 665 or any size boss without the cast control or clicker.

What you said is 100% true. It just makes me laugh that last year,everyone sold there accurates with no cast control to buy new one's with it. Now everyone wants without c/controls. LOL

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

What you said is 100% true. It just makes me laugh that last year,everyone sold there accurates with no cast control to buy new one's with it. Now everyone wants without c/controls. LOL
    For jiggin it is not necessary at all... I used my 665 Narrow 2 speed on an OTI 80# popping that I had built. It cast very well for a conventional. The cast control helps a lot. To get really good distance you have to have a very trained thumb.

12. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Thank you Mr. Bill
    I am trying to buy one.What kind a drag they have,same as boss reels,25 to 30 pounds...Who offers best prize?
    I am planing to use it on cows and chunking

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

MrBill,
    Isn't it the DFS Slammer for overseas, especially for NZ ?
    I am waiting for new upgraded 665 for the US market. It seems they upgraded Boss reel grear materials from Jan, 2008 already for existing models.

What's New at Accurate: All Boss Gears 70% Stronger

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

15. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I really enjoy jigging with my Accurate 665 NN ...
    Do you know if Accurate will make a double narrow in this model?