Accurate Boss Help!

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by Sea Crappie, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Question,

I just got an accurate boss back from maintenance, and when I put my aftermarket arm and handle back on, I noticed it felt very loose. The reason seems to be that the shaft the handle attaches to moves freely in and out of the body of the reel up to 1/16th of an inch. I have zero recollection of this reel (or any previous boss, now gone) that had that much play in the shaft.

This is clearly not normal, any ideas what's wrong? I've never worked on my boss reels myself, but am not afraid to start now.......................

2. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Crappie:My first step would be to call Matt at Accurate. He has always been the most knowledgeable person there I have talked to--and he will take as long as you need. Failing that, I would suspect several people on this board will know--among them Alantani and MrBill.

Russ

3. alantani

alantani Senior Member

two speed or single speed? my two speed handle arms have a little backplay in them as well. it's a design issue on the two speeds because the square post that the handle arm rides on is so small. i need to check all of mine before the october trip. it's it's single speed, you should tighten up the nut a little. becareful if you have a nut with an oil hole in it. those have been known to shear off.

with that much lateral play, you are either looking and a handle nut that is very loose or someone removed one of those teflon washers. you may need another one of those teflon spacing washers. alan

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Alan,

Thanks for the reply. The handle does not have any play, it is properly installed (by me) and is aftermarket. The problem is the shaft itself, it moves in and out of the reel by 1/16th of an inch whether the handle is installed or not.

Oh, and it's single speed.

5. alantani

alantani Senior Member

there are white teflon washers underneath the handle. sounds like you need to add another or two. call accurate at 808-222-8372 and ask for a couple of teflon boss handle washers, part #B-1658 for 0.010 thickness, #B-1660 for 0.015 and #B-1662 for 0.025 inch thicknesses. they're all only 50 cents each, so maybe order two of each.