Accurate 665W 2spd question

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by jig, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jig

jig Senior Member

I noticed yesterday that my reel is not freespooling very well. It almost feels like something is dragging to slow it down. To be honest, I just can't remember if it has always been like this, but I can't believe I did not give it a spin when I first got it. I completely broke it down and it looks fine. However, I noticed 2 springs inside the drag plate (on each side of the spool) that are in contact with the plate and bearing. Is it possble these springs are slowing it down? the spool turns very smoothly, but it just stops after a few revolutions.

The bearings are sealed, so not sure if I can do anything with them (or want to for that matter :) ).

Any suggestions?

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I got mine with cast controll too tigh from factory that coused poor freespool, after loosing the cast controll it works fine.

You might want to contact Accurate, they will take care of you.

3. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Accurate has some great tutorials on how to service these reels on their website. You might take a look at that to see if anything is obviously wrong. These reels have very tight clearances, any kind of corrosion or salt buildup might cause them to spin badly.

Tom - DBG

4. jig

jig Senior Member

thanks, but I checked cast control and the web tutorial is what got me thru the disassembly. Clean as a whistle. It is the spool. I can hold it in my hand via the shaft and spin, same thing. It is binding somewhere. Maybe the shaft bent from fishing too high a drag?

5. alantani

alantani Senior Member

when the reel is in "freespool," the only thing the spool touches is the two spool bearings. there should be no contact with anything else in the reel. try opening up the bearings, cleaning them out, lubing them and reinstalling them open. here's a link to the bearing post. please keep up posted. alan

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f72/bearings-bearings-bearings-786/

6. jig

jig Senior Member

Alan, I think that the drags are being ever so slightly engaged. The spool spins when I turn the handle, even in freespool. I did adjust to the short throw mod, and maybe this made a difference. Will have to dissassemble again and check it out.

7. alantani

alantani Senior Member

gummed up bearings will so the same thing.......

8. jig

jig Senior Member

Alan, you are the man. One bearing frozen. I worked it loose, and it is now acceptable. Freespool is MUCH better, if not perfect. But that is probably in my best interest. :)

Having now completely disassembled this reel, I am truly amazed. It is an engineering marvel. I cannot believe how simple it is. That is, except for the damn E clamp on the shaft. I hate that little ******.

9. alantani

alantani Senior Member

you should replace the bearing. once it seizes up like that, it will lock up every time it gets wet........