Accurate 665N or 665NN 2 speed for jigging?

Discussion in 'Reels' started by gmack, Apr 29, 2008.

1. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Going to purchase my most expensive reel ever. It will be used for big amberjack, grouper and yellowfin. Is the 665 enough reel and which reel will hold 300 yards of 80# braid? Should I get the N or NN?

Thanks,
    Gary

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

gmack: I bought the wide version, against Kil's advice, for jigging--he advised to get one of the narrower reels. And I am beginning to wish I had. I have not yet tried jigging with it or fighting a fish, but it will get a heavy workout in July, and I have a picture of myself losing concentration and building up a big pile of line in the middle so that no more line will come on the reel. I have sworn that I won't buy any more tackle, but if I do, it might be one of those two sizes.

Russ

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

my thumb cant fit on the spool of the NN, so thats out for me. I have the regular 665 and think it'll be just fine. Level-winding the line on is a habit for me anyway so that part isn't an issue.

5. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I ordered a NN and the N came instead. Im glad because the N is small enough. However for me the 870N is the perfect size.