360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some guys had issues with the 665 but not sure to what extent. I have the option to pick up a low speed non cast control 665 for a good price but I dont need any problems. Are these "old" models ok? Or will the gears have to be upgraded? Any help is appreciated!

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would depend on what your intended use for this reel is.

To be honest just a backup for a backup for cod and tile, but what if I wanted to jig BFT?? How much do they charge for the upgrade?

·
73 Posts
Well, for cod ect,the 665 is fine as it comes . I had both my 665's fitted with jigging master double docking sets and power handle arms. Thats around $ 200 per reel , which includes postage both ways ,parts and fitting. Only you could decide wether the extra expence is worth it.

·
781 Posts
What upgrade are you talking about? The only one ever done to older accurates is if it was a 6 bearing,they could upgrade to 7. And a 665 will do 100# fish.

But what is a jigging master double dock?

·
73 Posts
Jigging master double docking sets add a double dog type of anti reverse ,like Penn internationals have.So you don't have to rely on the anti-reverse bearing holding the strain of a large fish ,it's well worth having these fitted if ,like me ,your using these reels on larger game fish.That said ,they can only be fitted to the 'E' single speed models which might be newer than the one Stresst is refering to. You can check out the docking set on www. jiggingmaster-ag.com

·
5,457 Posts
To be honest just a backup for a backup for cod and tile, but what if I wanted to jig BFT?? How much do they charge for the upgrade?

It use to be free, now I think it's @35 dollars if the reel isn't broke. I've been trying to break mine for 2 years to get the upgrade for free.

d-a

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought they changed the gears....... What is upgrade is 35 bucks? Im not gonna have the JM double dock instaled just because this is more of a cod reel and probably will never see a tuna trip unless I was bringing this for someone who had no gear....

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But then again to pay 200, 225 for the reel another 99 for the docking system, another 70 for the long arm another 70 for the handle more money for shipping and instalation im way over 400 closer to 500 for a used old style 665 I could save money and buy a brand new JM PE6 for about the same money?????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts