360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL,

I would like to know if this reels are good enough for Tilefish&Grouper. I will be putting 14lbs diameter (70lbs test) Daiwa Braid for STX70 and 12lbs diameter (55lbs test) Daiwa Braid for the Toro 61 and hoping to have close to 300 yards.

Will these reels hold up to these species?

·
2,753 Posts
Hey check this In-depth review of the reel you are talking about.
Abu Garcia Soron / Cardinal 807i : The Review - SurfTalk
I think the question isn't can it handle these fish, it is how long/how many times can this reel endure the beating of these fish.
Also, where are you fishing out of? NC? grouper can come in big and small varieties.

I own this reel, and I still want to try to break it... but so far in 2009 I haven't been able to.

Enoch

·
301 Posts
I've been using the Soron STX 70 for about 6 months now, its the best reel out there for the price! I got it for a $100 & caught about 11 Dorados (the biggest was 21 LBS) Barracudas, Queenfish, small Groupers. I use YGK Ultra Cast PE5. The only problem I faced was the anti-reverse started playing back-wards when I was fighting the bull Dorado, otherwise so far so good. I never wash my reels with fresh water after using them & I never service'em either. I dont think you can get 300 yards of PE6 on the spool.

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only problem I faced was the anti-reverse started playing back-wards when I was fighting the bull Dorado, otherwise so far so good.

Thanks for the replies:) When you say "Started playing backwards", it was slipping backwards? After that everything was good again? No repair needed?

·
2,753 Posts
I also found some slippage in the IAR.

I want to break this reel on amberjack in NC. The drag is strong and smooth out of the box. I was surprised when I tested it out.

·
1,102 Posts
I purchased the Cardinal 807i last spring, which was the same thing as the soron before it was rebadged (read the link above if confused). I got mine for $60, so couldn't argue with that! Overall its a solid reel that I like a lot. It does have a lot of drag and its pretty smooth and powerful out of the box. It also has a real solid metal feel to it. There are a few things that I don't like.....I tried putting some 50lb big game braid on it, thinking I could get 300 yds...but only got 200yds (this was by a professional winder). The reel makes a 'knocking' at the end of the downstroke of the rotor shaft, its more of a annoyance than anything though it makes me wonder about it long term.

I also experienced the IAR failure, although I do a lot of surf fishing and the reel had gotten dunked. It took two cleanings before it functioned properly. The key is too keep the IAR box CLEAN AND DRY! If it fails, try to blast it with some WD40 followed by some canned air (used to clean computers). If it still fails, then you have to take the IAR case apart, degrease & wipe down the cylinders, then shoot with WD40 followed by the canned air. That finally did the trick for me..........but be warned that if you haven't taken an IAR case apart they are a royal pain to get back together.

Also, I removed the bail trip arm so the bail doesn't flip over on the cast and when i was putting in a tiny screw that holds that plastic cover with abu garcia back on I somehow stripped the threads in the hole. Luckily I found a tap kit small enough to fix it, but I just funny as I had never done this before.

Overall a good real for the money. You said that you want to target tilefish/grouper with this reel and 14lb test braid. So I assume you are going to be fishing deep water with heavy rigs? If that is the case I am not sure if that would be a good setup for that purpose. 14 lb test won't allow you to take advantage of the drag to pull those fish off the bottom in deep water. Also, 14 pound test is really thin and won't stand up to the abuse of bottom fishing with heavy rigs. I would look at a conventional or larger spinner with more capacity (fin nor offshore comes to mind). Just my $0.02.

·
2,753 Posts
Perhaps if you use a long mono leader and up your braid to at least 40lbs you can do some good grouper fishing.
I really think that if you want to go bigger spinner the penn 9500 (older generation) is as strong a reel as any. Besides the drags needing upgraded there isn't much you need to do. I've seen more old timers pull up fish with that reel than any other spinner.

If someone could sell me their mint condition 9500 I would buy in an instant. That is one big reel I wish I didn't sell.

·
1,102 Posts
Its going to be 14lbs Diameter (70lbs Test). Thanks anyways.

Whoops, my bad! Still, I have 50lb berkley big game braid which is 12lb diameter and barely got 200yds on. So with 70lb/14lb diameter braid you will get even less. That may sound like a lot but once you start fishing deepwater it isn't that much. Overall I think the soron is a great reel for the value....I think shimano and daiwa could take some notes on it.....

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoops, my bad! Still, I have 50lb berkley big game braid which is 12lb diameter and barely got 200yds on. So with 70lb/14lb diameter braid you will get even less. That may sound like a lot but once you start fishing deepwater it isn't that much. Overall I think the soron is a great reel for the value....I think shimano and daiwa could take some notes on it.....

Wow, BigGame 50lbs test should be 12lbs Diameter and the SoronSTX70 stated 17/250. I guess its a misprint than on their www.site. I think I will be better of going to the 55lbs Test with 10lbs Diameter to have more line on the reel. Hope the 55lbs line will holdup to that kind of fishing.

Thank you:)

·
1,102 Posts
Wow, BigGame 50lbs test should be 12lbs Diameter and the SoronSTX70 stated 17/250. I guess its a misprint than on their www.site. I think I will be better of going to the 55lbs Test with 10lbs Diameter to have more line on the reel. Hope the 55lbs line will holdup to that kind of fishing.

Thank you:)

Yea, the published line capacity is way overestimated. You could try putting on 55lb with a long mono leader like enoch recomended.

·
2,753 Posts
I tried to break this reel in 2010 but could not.

I will try in 2011. after about 50-60 fish on this reel it's still problem free. I have cleaned and re-lubed the drags once. Rinsed down well after every use with freshwater. That is all.

I can say that the rubber knob is a bit "smooth" now though. I do have some medium level sounding high gear noise too. (not unlike my sustain 5000FE, and not as "grindy")

·
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried to break this reel in 2010 but could not.

I will try in 2011. after about 50-60 fish on this reel it's still problem free. I have cleaned and re-lubed the drags once. Rinsed down well after every use with freshwater. That is all.

I can say that the rubber knob is a bit "smooth" now though. I do have some medium level sounding high gear noise too. (not unlike my sustain 5000FE, and not as "grindy")
\

I didn't land big enough fish to know if mine will hold up:p . Hope will get to this year:D

·
2,753 Posts
\

I didn't land big enough fish to know if mine will hold up:p . Hope will get to this year:D

I still didn't have a "huge" fish as I chased only striped bass and bluefish from surf with this reel. I thought about a drum trip for black drum up to 100lbs but I don't think they would even fight as hard as a big 20lb bluefish.
If I can buy another for $60 or so, I would buy it for back up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts