360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a test on these lines? Namely the 2 SMP lines? I'd really like to know how each stands up so I can decide which is the better line for me. Seems the SMP PE6/9 is just a bit light for fishing for cow tuna on a LR boat, unless somehow the breaking strength is over 100.

·
2,924 Posts
I used Varivas lines almost exclusively for the last 2 years for casting. Varivas Avani GT SMP Super Max Power line is without a doubt the best casting line I have ever used. Its breaking strength is in the 90's on PE6 which is what I've used for all of my bluefins and yellowfins over the past season. Its super thin, really strong and casts like a dream. On my dedicated casting reel (18000HG) I have PE6 SMP on my other reel that I occiasionally use for casting I have Daiwa Boat braid

·
1,095 Posts
Varivas Avani GT SMP Super Max Power line is without a doubt the best casting line I have ever used. Its breaking strength is in the 90's on PE6 which is what I've used for all of my bluefins and yellowfins over the past season. Its super thin, really strong and casts like a dream.

I believe the Varivas Tuna Max is 112 Lbs

Is the SMP a hollow braid?

Is the Tuna Max a hollow braid?

Thanks! .... butch

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Is the SMP a hollow braid?

Is the Tuna Max a hollow braid?

Thanks! .... butch

Not hollow for sure. Very tightly woven in fact. I use a bimini on the end to do a loop to loop connection.

·
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So would you feel comfortable fishing for 200-350# tuna with the SMP PE 6 on a stella 20k from an anchored boat? I caught at 212 on the SMP PE 8, but felt there might be too little line on the reel for the bigger fish (I think I have about 450 yds or so). There's no chasing the tuna on these boats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts