Abalone Inlay

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by red34, Dec 30, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

Have any of you guys ever used this stuff. I know people put it in rods but I'm really nut sure how difficult it is to do. Please let me know what I'd be getting myself into. PLEASE post pics of the rods you have done with it as well.

Thanks

Green Heart Abalone Shell Inlay Strips

2. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Just measure around your blank with a piece of paper/thin carboard where you would like to place it and use that as a template when cutting. A paper cutter (the guillotine blade thing) works well, but I use a razor and score the shell a few times to make my cuts.

You can roll it around a thin steel mandrel which will give you some cracking to form a tube or soak it in vinegar to make it more flexible. Really depends on the look you want.

This was my first attempt at it after one coat. Doesn't seem like it's too hard to work with. Just make sure you get the one with the adhesive backing. Makes everything a lot easier.

Attached Files:

3. red34

red34 Guest

Mudhole has the adhesive backing. Where did you get yours from?

4. feeder

feeder Senior Member

This piece I got off ebay a while back. I searched for "abalone veneer".

5. red34

red34 Guest

cool. thanks alot

6. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

You can order it direct from Scott @ Aqua Blue Maui in Hawaii.

Works on Jigs too Abalone Jig

7. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

There is an in depth article on how to use the Abalone in Rodmaker MAgazine, written by MAryland builder Kevin Knox. He will be selling instructions and materials at The NERBs booth at the High Point ICRBE Show in February, but if oyu contact him I'm sure he would answer any Q's and get you what you need.

8. flatliner

flatliner Senior Member

Hey folks. Im new to the board but wanted to post some pics of my abalone inlay rods that I do. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I have gotten rodbuilders a great deal through Mother of Pearl Shell Veneer from Aqua Blue Maui. Just ask for Scotty in email or phonecall and mention that this will be used for rodbuilding and he will hook you up.

Kevin Knox
    Angler's Envy Custom Rods
    Queen Anne, Maryland
    [email protected]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. red34

red34 Guest

all of those look really nice fellas

10. feeder

feeder Senior Member

That first set was on the cover of Rodbuilder Magazine. Those were the ones that made me want to do the abalone inlay.

11. flatliner

flatliner Senior Member

I can tell you, there are big differences in Aqua Blue Maui and Mudhole veneer. Mudholes are 2.5" x 4 11/16" at $12.95. I don't have the price in front of me, but aqua blue maui has a better veneer that is 5" x 9" (twice as big) for maybe a dollar more. Plus, their adhesive backing is made by 3M to adhere rearview mirrors to windshields. So, to say its strong is an understatement!!!

Feeder's veneer is the thin lam orange from Aqua Blue Maui.

Kevin

12. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Actually Flatliner that was the piece I got off eBay. It was the second piece that I got after one from another place first (that shall remain nameless). The first one was very dissapointing piece that looked like it had been painted with a coarse hair brush. What adhesive does Mudhole use on theirs?

13. flatliner

flatliner Senior Member

(that shall remain nameless). The first one was very dissapointing piece that looked like it had been painted with a coarse hair brush. What adhesive does Mudhole use on theirs?

Being newly exposed to this industry, Aqua Blue Maui (ABM) filled me in on the history of the two companies. Apparently, the other company was a customer of ABM and then they started doing their own to try to drive them out of business. The American way, I guess....
    Anyway, there really is no comparison. Im not sure what the other company uses for adhesive.

14. flatliner

flatliner Senior Member

Its been a while since I posted on this, but I now have a DVD that goes into the process step by step. Its almost an hour long and goes into every detail. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Kevin