A quickie

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Courtland, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

Reggie(Panamasportfishinglodge's brother), Christian(our chicken rigger) and myself headed out of Hilton Head Island around noon on Saturday. The first 20 miles were bumpy but it laid off about 35 miles off. We stopped at Navy tower R-7 to jig some AJ's for a bit then made the run to 220' to work the steel. There was no current and the bite was on.

An AJ at the tower. 300g JM and Accurate 197. I am loving this combo, I have had 3 different reels on it and finally think I found the perfect shallow water setup. Could fish it for a week and still have energy.

[​IMG]

Things really slicked off and Reggie took advantage of the conditions. I switched to live bait after a few fish but he kept on with some hammer jigs w/ siwash hooks. I would say he put as many fish in the boat as I did and I got a few more sharks on bait.

[​IMG]

Reggie was fishing with a 400G OTI and a Torsa 40, and the scamps didn't stand a chance.

It was a quick one. 220 miles total, left at noon and returned to the dock at 9:30. It sucks that our shelf is so gradual here, it makes for some long runs. Realistically we couldn't keep anymore fish anyway. Fishbag stuffed, grouper limit full and close on trigers and pinkies. Throw in a red snapper and some other stuff and we got our fix.

2. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Cool! Great trip report.

3. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

My bad. Reggie is fishing with a OTI 300G and a Trinidad 40N.

4. Eastern Tackle

I'll be relocating to Atlanta in March and look forward to exploring some of that bottom......that is if we are still allowed to fish it and the Fisheries folks don't close it all together.:(

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

We can still go out and molest them and grill and release. Fresh grouper sammiches while fishing. YUM

6. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

nice job reggiee. were you using the cm220s?

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Courtland,
    Welcome to the jigging world.
    Be careful. One you are addicted, there is no cure. :)
    Reggie told me you guys have good number for snaper and grouper there. I might join you soon. I used to go down to Hilton Head to play golf, not for fishing. find good areas for sheepshead and ribbonfish. They are my favorite too.

8. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Very nice catch Courtland ! fished that area for 30 years , nice bend on those rods

9. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

Courtland,
    Welcome to the jigging world.
    Be careful. One you are addicted, there is no cure. :)
    Reggie told me you guys have good number for snaper and grouper there. I might join you soon. I used to go down to Hilton Head to play golf, not for fishing. find good areas for sheepshead and ribbonfish. They are my favorite too.

Your welcome anytime. I may be in need of a heavier JM for my bx2-600. I'll let you know.

10. Eastern Tackle

We can still go out and molest them and grill and release. Fresh grouper sammiches while fishing. YUM

I think being centrally located in Atl will have its advantages. I can see the post now, "Looking for a ride on Saturday anywhere between Charleston and Venice." :)

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

When I used to fish Panama City/Destin areas, I sometimes flew to Atlanta, GA and drove down on rental cars.

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Your welcome anytime. I may be in need of a heavier JM for my bx2-600. I'll let you know.
    If you catch any fish big, I can recommend heavier JM rods. :) I'll find time to fish with you and Reggie there.
    There must be good fishing there as friends I know drove down there from NJ and fished regularly on the Thunder Star out of Mt. Pleasant, SC.

13. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

where are the fish pics?

14. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

where are the fish pics?

We were in a hurry, only took a few. Here are a few to keep you company.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]