A little looney, I know. Spinner Blade on Jig

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by John_Madison CT, Jan 8, 2009.

1. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

What do ya'll think? Add a little flash and flutter? This is a willow leaf blade. I took a Spro power swivel and cut it open with some snips. I bend the openings back over with a small pair of needle nose pliers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank god I'm going Giant Tuna fishing next week. The frozen tundra of CT is giving me cabin fever.

Anyway, thoughts, opinions, criticizisms are all welcome.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i dont like a 2 assist hook setup but that blade looks interesting :p

just an FYI those hooks look like they might be able to get stuck on the jig. Is the gap wide enough to safely fit around without snagging (or i suppose thin enough to do the opposite). Anyway, that wasn't why you posted it.

I think the leaf is a good idea and think you should definitely try it. Those blade leafs can be rigged a lot of ways and i think they would be effective on poppers as well (after all that is kind of what they were made for).

good luck trying it!

3. red34

red34 Guest

i bought some blades to attach to a few of the jigs that i'm getting ready to pour. i plan on using a split ring to attach. the reason being that the spinning blade will probably cause the bait to sink slower due to a helecopter effect. of course, there's a huge difference in weight from a spinnerbait to a 7oz jig, but it MIGHT have some effect in deep water and current.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i plan on putting blades on my ball jigs for grouper. a little flash cant hurt anything

5. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

The Carpenter Sea Frog has always been rigged with a blade on the back (in lieu of a hook). You should also check wahoo bombs, they also use blades.

All that said, I agree with Bret, definitely lose the second assist hook.

6. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Looks like it would draw some attention on the retrieve. They do this on Wahoo bombs. I'm not sure how it will affect the flutter action on the way down though.

I'll agree with the guys here. One assist hook is better. The other one either always snags or is dangling waiting to grab you when trying to unhook your catch. I think the 2 hook idea was some marketing ploy between Owner and Shimano to sell more assist hooks :rolleyes:

7. papio

papio Senior Member

I've seen a few Asian jiggers use double hooks at different lengths with some success but I believe they were f/testing.

Yea, loose one the hooks and change to biggers hooks. Blade is ok, if anything adds more flash. Good luck.

8. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

try using 2 blades back to back it works well too