A 300 lbs giant bluefin landed on a jig !!!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Capt Dom just phoned me that Mike of Peace Token landed a 300 lbs (estimated) giant on a jig in Cape Cod Bay and they are heading to the dock now.
    Congratulations, Mike. He proved once again he is a premier tuna jig fisherman.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Great job to Mike!

3. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Capt Dom just phoned me that Mike of Peace Token landed a 300 lbs (estimated) giant on a jig in Cape Cod Bay and they are heading to the dock now.
    Congratulations, Mike. He proved once again he is a premier tuna jig fisherman.

Kil,

when you get a chance, please post details,rod,reel, depth.....pics!:)

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I just talked with Capt Dom.
    The fish was measured at 77 inches which is probably in 260-270 lbs range. As I expected he used metallic sardine jigs with usual 8'6" long GLoomis rod and Saltiga 50. It took 3 1/2 hour to land the fish.
    Though it didn't make 300 mark, still it is a remarkable feat.
    Congratulations for both Capt Dom and Mike.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

Dom is my favorite hands down, love that guy like a brother couldnt happen to anyone nicer or more fishy guy. Look forward to tearing up the shark circuit next week with him OB 2008 here we come

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Dom is my favorite hands down, love that guy like a brother couldnt happen to anyone nicer or more fishy guy. Look forward to tearing up the shark circuit next week with him OB 2008 here we come
    Glenn, when Randy of the Anglers Proshop asked me whether he could charter Capt Dom, I gladly said yes, but I knew I couldn't go with him as freely as I used to. :) He was like a hidden jewel. There are very few captains I have to ask to go home. We both planned to go many commercial tuna fishing this year, but I don't think it can happen as many guys got to know him now. :) It was the same Dom with whom I got two swordfish on jigs last year.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

all ive heard is great things about Dom. I hope I can fit in a trip with him this year, especially after this report!

8. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Congratulations for both Capt Dom and Mike

9. gman

gman Senior Member

He was like a hidden jewel. There are very few captains I have to ask to go home.

I have a great true story about Dom I will share with you. I hear about this shark guy named Dom on Noreast so I contact him and Anthony and I take the long trek from NJ to RI to fish with him. I tell him we are after trophy fish no baby sharks. Tells me he has this wreck that no one knows about that a dragger friend let him in on.

8 hours later, it shows up, we bait him and I get my monster close to 500#'s and a new RI record so were steaming home. All of us beat weve been on the water for 13-14 hours and then about 100 yards off the boat we see a massive school of Bluefins. The big ones

Now remember we've been on this boat for almost 14 hours and we have a 13' shark off the back of it because it doesn't fit in the boat he says "Giants ... anyone for tuna" and puts out a 6 rod trolling spread over the dead 13' shark. Changing out colors every 15 minutes working his ass off, we had 4 close calls with giants that day but I was just amazed at his passion even when everyone else would have continued to teh barn he stayed and trolled for an extra hour and never asked for an addition penny

I make that trek to RI now every year about 10 times becuase of his tenacity

10. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

WOW! That is a Captian you can really respect!

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

on an 8'6" g-loomis that is amazing. i saw a few pictures and it really is a beast.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Attached Files:

14. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

3.5 HRS. MAN OF STEEL!!!

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here is Capt Dom's full report.

Only fish of the day, here's the full report:

It all finally sank in this morning, and man does it feel it good. I have had some rough luck up there so far, in 2 previous trips we had broken off 5 fish, 3 on the large side.

The day started off very very slow. WQeather was awesome, no fog for a change, light SW breeze, just enough wind chop to make me think it would be an epic day.....not this day. We saw a grand total of 1 surface frenzy, and it turned out to be big bluefish. There were no signs of Charlie anywhere inside from Wood End out to fishing ledge, and back to the race. We decided to move out off PH into some bait and whales I marked earlier. There were two other boats working, both on the ball looking for a biggun', and no reports of any fish taken on the radio that we heard of. The guys opted to jig for the few marks I had down at 75 feet in 170 feet of water, and they stayed at it, working through all the dogfish...

I moved down a few times as each stop over the very few decent marks produced nothing or a fouled dogfish for their efforts. We then bounced down for what would be the last drift, as it was approaching 2 oclock, and time to run back home after a long, fruitless day. I was actually already forming the SKUNK report in the back of my mind, when it happened. Mike came tight, and immediately we knew this was a good fish. I had the other 3 guys clear lines and the deck for what was gonna be a battle.

Mike worked this fish like the seasoned pro he is, and had it to the boat in under an hour. That is when the fun really began, and the fish dug in, not budging the last 50 feet or so for over 2 plus hours. Every time Mike worked it to just shy of money shot time, the fish moved under the boat and sounded back to 50 feet. With a Saltiga 50 on light line and a long stick, it was one hell of an uphill battle getting that beast within range.

Of course the poon was sitting in my garage, so I got on the horn to see if anyone could lend a poon, but nobody home out there. The crew of FOUR BUOYS came over to see if they could lend a hand, and we gladly accepted. They sent a crewman over to assist with the end game, and man was it needed. My one straight gaff was nowhere near the iron necessary to get into the boat, but it did the trick when this stubborn slob finally came up and gave me its chin.....OH YEAH. A 2nd and third gaff were quickly added, and then the struggle to get it over the gunnel ensued. WHen it finall y hit the deck, crew and captain were worn out but happy. Taped out at 77", and my estimate puts that fat bastid somewhere at 270 pounds!!!