360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

90-120 n.m. Off Sabine

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Ragman 
#1 ·
I got a call yesterday from the guy that we outfitted his 48' Viking last week in Baton Rouge.

They fished all the way back to Port Aransas where he'll dock the boat.

It's kind of general information but:

They mostly trolled back due to only having 850 gallons of fuel for the 6 days it took, but he reported raising 7 marlin and hooked/tag two, est. 350 and a 450.

They used the Tiagra 80's and pulled the Moldcraft chuggers in pink (said Pink was getting hit by a lot species!)

Fishing was kind of slow until they neared a rig somewhere 90-120 miles out of Sabine.

They saw lots of surface action from far away that made them focus on this particular rig. Sorry he didn't have more specific info! :eek:

He said the Wahoo were stacked up like a bunch of river-floating logs! They got them on Marauders in both black/purple and black/orange while using the Tiagra 50's. They kept this up until they lost all of their marauders to cut offs.

This place was also holding -in his words- a ton of big YFT and BFT! Their biggest -happened to be on a slow-trolled live bait- was a 145 YFT.

They also got many on OTI Komodo and Wombats, and had fun learning how to jig because the BFT were hungry.

This trip happened from June 25 through June 28.

He said he'll be sending some pics to me soon, and I'll add if/when he sends.

He also had a question that I couldn't answer regarding tag supplies.

Is the IGFA the only one that makes/distributes tagging stuff (besides the stick)?

He wondered why a company doesn't offer knocked off stuff?

Anybody?

Thanks!

See less See more
#7 ·
That's what I told him Brandon! He's placing a restock order next week, so we'll get them to him.

tngbmt- Cool pic!

I would guess somewhere around or just north of Gunnison. It was the night of the 26th, so I'd think they were more than half way from Baton Rouge to Port A.

Though at first, he was telling me 40-60 miles out, so I don't know how accurate any of his location info is! LOL

#10 ·
Hell, Im new to this message board but not new to customer service. First I would like to day I am the captain of the boat that left LA enroute to Port A. Secondly we purchaed a un godly amount of tackle from 360tackle to outfit the boat. Both Tom and TJ went way over board with there customer service and there promtness to fullfill and complete our order. To say the least I am suprised all of our gear fit into there over sized SUV and there were still able to drive and see where they were going. We had a great trip with beautiful conditions. The fishing was very good and hooked into some quality fish. Off of Sabine we were 110 miles out and came across a aquarimum of fish, free swimming Waghoo, Cbia, big hammer heads blue runner AJ you name it there were circleing the boat. Our main interest is mrlain but did hook up some Wahoo and some Tuna and Marlin. We are planning on being in the ROC and TIFT as well as 6 tournamnest in Florida 2 in LA 1 in MIss this year. Im not going to spill the beans but we have put together a team for these tournamenst that consist of two members of this board. Look for a article on our tournaments in Texas Boating Magazine as well as the Mens outdoor Chanell this winter. We will be offering Charters out of both Port A this summer and Florida this winter. I will post pics and reports as they come in. Ok now what I ask is for you to figure out who is the board members that are on our tournament team??? Have a great day everyone...

#13 ·
Hmm not sure of the there forum nick names. Im sure they will chime in and let all of you know who they are. We are looking forward to there company on our team. Anyone fishing the ROC or TIFT? Would enjoy meeting other forum mebers at the awards party or on the radio. Feel free to PM.

#20 ·
Bill Fisher,

I have researched different slips and mainas in teh area for the tournament. Do you hav e areccomendation for a slip that would put us in a good location some what close to the action? On eof teh eveingings we will have be having a coctal party and a meet and greet would love for you to come by. Anyone else that is fishing the tournament the offer is open to all of you as well. Send me a Pm. Should be a good tournament and the fish are starting to show in better numbers.

#21 ·
right there at south point would putchoo close to the fuel and weigh-in and sea ranch on the island would putchoo close to 'other' action but i'd suggest you contact Betty......... she's real nice and i'm sure she could be more helfpful than me............. i haven't checked on slips in quite awhile..... mine's docked over in the fingers by my place

BETTY P. WELLS
~ Fax & Phone: [956]943-8438[TIFT]
~bettytift@aol.com

LOCAL DOCK SPACE:
Tournament Officials anticipate additional dock space may be available. For more information: 956/943-TIFT (8438). Area code: 956.

SEA RANCH MARINA / SOUTHPOINT
MARINA- Kip Lawrence 761-7777
•SOUTH PADRE MARINA-
Connie Martinez 761-7476
•PORT ISABEL CITY DOCKS 943-2682
•LONG ISLAND VILLAGE- Soila 943-6449
•PORT ISABEL PARK CENTER-
Donna Thacker 943-7340
•ZIMCO MARINE- Jerry Schmidt 943-2672
•THE MOORINGS- Jimmy Lawson 592-5921
•PIRATES COVE- David Gower 459-5119
•SOUTHPOINT MARINA 943-7926

#23 ·
Bill Fisher,

One of the evenings we will have be having a cocktail party and a meet and greet, would love for you to come by. Anyone else that is fishing the tournament the offer is open to all of you as well. Send me a Pm. Should be a good tournament.

PM sent........

i also have a margarita machine i could bring if anyone likes the frozen kind

lemmee know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.