80# reel Rigging for Swords & bird trolling

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by captdeej, Jul 1, 2008.

1. captdeej

captdeej Senior Member

I am setting up a Accurate 80atd for a NE canyons swordfish deep drop rig and drop back bird trolling. looking for opinions?

Do I fill the reel with jb hollow 130 and a short top shot of 125# topshot or fill the reel with half way with jb 130 hollow and half with 80# momoi diamond 80# mon topshot?

Concerns are trolling with other non braid setups and tangles thus causing the need to cut off the braid and slice vs just changing the mono. Also will half the reel filled with jb hollow 130 spectra have enough capacity not to ever get spooled?

Finally days away from getting the reel and cant decide on the braid length your opinions are appreciated before I make the CUT!

2. gman

gman Senior Member

fill it up with JB hollowcore 130 and then have a windon leader made of like 100 yards. I would ship it to Basil Papaas of BHP tackle and let him set you up. He is in NJ and is the best at windons

3. captdeej

captdeej Senior Member

thanks gman I make my own windons not a problem, what do you think 80#diamond or 125mono for the 100 yd top shot?

4. xs_tackle

xs_tackle Senior Member

thanks gman I make my own windons not a problem, what do you think 80#diamond or 125mono for the 100 yd top shot?

Lose the idea of 80# anything. Go for the 130 topshot; and, forget the Diamond. Consider shortening the topshot to 30 yds. or forget the topshot if it's only going to connect braid to your swordfish rig, which I assume will include a length of something hard surfaced like Momoi marlin hard leader material.

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Jigging, Popping, Deep-Deep drop wind on leader of 3 to 5 yards.

Trolling or baiting to 250' I agree with a top shot of a 100yds or a little more.

Keep the braid on the reel until you get bit. As casting and reaction hook set

are not your goal.

A little mono stretch would be ok for your conditions.

But why the jump between 80# and 125#?

100 - 125# for a top shot. and 300 + leader for the trolled lure or sword

leader for the abrasion.

????

X-S you typed faster then me : )

6. captdeej

captdeej Senior Member

I have not targeted sword before and caught all until now while tuna chunking 50# tackle, the reason for the 80# topshot mono to 130# sword rig leader is, I am thinking max drag of 22 lbs as not to pull hooks.
    I like the idea of 130 braid to 130# topshot.

7. captdeej

captdeej Senior Member

xs the 130# 30' mono rig alone wont pull hooks, How much drag at strike would you use with this set up?