8/9/09 report

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Had Andy P, Tattoo, and Corey aboard Sunday. Day was very quiet, eerily so, with very few boats out on a gorgeous Sunday in August. There were absolutely zero feeds at the surface, but I was in an area that just felt fishy to me, so we stuck it out. I started marking a few fish and we saw a single every now and then near the surface, so we blind casted for a bit, but no love at all, no real signs that anything was around. had a baby seal come around the boat for a while, and we hung out with him while he tried getting up on the outboard platform. I noticed that the marks we did paint on the finder were down deeper, so I had Andy break out the jig. He chose a shimano butterfly in glow and silver, and dropped down on a maek I had. I noticed the jig had fallen past the mark on the finder, so I had Andy reel up[ a few cranks until it was even, and then suggested a slow, yo-yo style jigging method. A few pulls later, Andy was tight to our one and only hit of the day. After a reel screaming run, the fish settled in and gave it everything it had, including getting into the props once. Andy handled this fish with ease, relaxing and pacing himself niceley. Towrds the 20 minute mark, I asked Andy to put the boots to the fish, and he complied, cranking the drag up two turns and beating this fish up pretty good. 6 minutes or so later, I nailed the fish in the head with the dart, game over on a nice 65" jigged fish. No other sightings, very few fish landed around us, except for an 82" monster by my friend Robbie Delph on a 30 with 60 pound line and 80 pound floro.

View attachment 8137

View attachment 8138

View attachment 8139

View attachment 8140

View attachment 8141

View attachment 8142

View attachment 8143

View attachment 8144

Attached Files:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

awesome work dom - fish didnt like the dart in its head??? lol

3. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

They normally get real cooperative with a dart in their brain :) Like leading around a big dog.

Pretty work. I see the expedition. What kind of rod was it on?

4. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

now that is a nasty dart...like a blood bomb went off.

5. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Attached Files:

6. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

That little seal is cool as hell. I guess maybe he was a bit tired and needed a breather. We had an adult seal around the boat last week as well. He was close enough I could have pet him. He didn't seem to happy that we were disturbing his sun tan session as he kept grunting and snorting at us.

[​IMG]

7. elpescador

elpescador Senior Member

They normally get real cooperative with a dart in their brain :) Like leading around a big dog.

looks like a blue rose

8. AndyP

AndyP Member

Yes, it was a Shimano blue rose 4'8" S4815F rod

9. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Nice job as usual Capt Dom!! Andy...good to see you with a bend in that rod! I will be out there this Friday and hope we get to see you as well:)

10. pipelayer2

pipelayer2 Junior member

Are we talking about the tuna or the seal????:D

Sorry, my twisted sense of humor got the best of me.

Anyway, you guys up there rock with the bluefin. Congrats on all the fine catches. Hopefully I'll get to get up there before too long. This jigging and popping is horribly addicting.

11. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Mike you,re killing me:D . Awesome you should had feed him some bait & become his best friend;)

We did try to feed him but he wanted nothing to do with the Haddock we threw him.

12. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Capt. Dom, love the poon pic!!