77" Bluefin tuna was caught in 3' water

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by ksong, Nov 28, 2006.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I read it from the other site.

Yesterday there was a 77" Bluefin taken in Archers Creek in 3 FEET of water. That's right 3 Feet!!!! The fish was caught off a 16 foot Carolina Skiff. It was caught by 2 locals that spotted the fish pushing water and went after it, armed with 20# spinning tackle with metal jigs. They ended up snagging the fish, and eventually got it to the skiff and then in the skiff. It was an illegal catch as the skiff did not hold a federal permit!! That is a panic!!

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/mascheer99/album/576460762352315439

2. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i wonder what the fine was? the poor fish had no deep water to run to. they had a ton of luck involved to get that fish to the boat and a heck of a lot more to get it into the boat...rick

3. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

That is a heck of a story

4. bpitcher

bpitcher Senior Member

That's a dang nice fish, too bad about the fine though. I think if i was in their shoes I would have taken the fine too, just to land a fish like that.

I fished with a guide off cape cod for stripers and he was telling me about hooking up with the bluefin on striper gear in his little skiff. He mentioned one time in particular when he fought a 300# class fish for 4 or so hours untill the building seas were finally too much for him and he cut the line. When headed in he found that he had drifted/ been pulled 8 miles out to sea.

Brad

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Great story of a life time.
    I would have take the fine too.

6. Pope

Pope Senior Member

7. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

That federal fine is up to a judge. It could be huge. It is also illegal to snag a fish in Texas. They made it a law after the big fish kill happened around 1983.
    There was a huge freeze that year that kept the temp along the coast below freezing for 84 hours. I was in Port A at the time with a new girlfriend.

The trout and redfish piled up in the harbors. Most were fighting for their lives as people were snagging them up with 6/0 treble hooks. Port Mansfield had tens of thousands of 6 to 12 pound trout in their harbor. Millions of trout died in that freeze. It even froze in Cancun for the first time in recorded history. Redfish faired better but thousands were floating dead on top of the water. The only fish that was not floating was the hardheads. Even the freeze can't kill those pest.

The diesel fuel filter in my truck turned into wax. I tried plugging in the 110volt heater built into the trucks radiator, but it didn't help. Nobody in Port A had a dry filter so I had to walk to Aransas Pass in a T-shirt in 18 degree weather. I packed light because my plan was to do nothing but indoor activities that weekend. Not one single snowbird bothered to give me a ride. I never help a snowbird in trouble after that experience. At least 50 of them passed me as I was trying to hitch hike a ride. To this day I have never forgiven them. I wish them all flat tires and major engine damage as they travel back home.

I took many pics. I had never seen blocks of ice in the surf the size of a 48 quart cooler. The jetties were also iced over. Most all of the palm trees froze and had to be removed. They ended up stacking them up at the sand dunes which in turn built the sand dunes to new heights.

Boats were sunk in the harbors because ice had formed up to 3 feet deep in the decks. Every single house and condo had broken pipes in town. All plumbing is exposed on the exterior along the Texas Coast as it rarely hits 32 degrees. The only good thing about that weekend was I left with a sore dip stick. That's always a good thing.

8. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Thanks for great story.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Gunsmoke,
    Are you talking about freezing weather ? :)
    [​IMG]

10. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Wow, what an ice storm!

Hopefully no one was spending the night in there? :eek:

They would have thought GS had pulled the ultimate prank!

11. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Glad thats not my multimillion dollar sled.

Good story Gunsmoke

12. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

The freeze in 83 took a while to get over but thanks to the stocking programs, the fisher picked up fairly quick. Its nice to read a post about the freeze. I have told people about it in the past and they kind of look at me like I am crazy but the freeze did whipe out a bunch of fish. I didnt know a thing about the snagging going on though. Must have been easy pickens if people were finding holes and just snagging them out.

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Not one single snowbird bothered to give me a ride. I never help a snowbird in trouble after that experience. At least 50 of them passed me as I was trying to hitch hike a ride. To this day I have never forgiven them. I wish them all flat tires and major engine damage as they travel back home.

And you call me a hardhead. That must be the reason you always try and put out a big wake when the snowbirds are fishing for sheephead on the jetties. You're trying to drown them.

14. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Ksong,
    That's a great picture. I'll have to dig out mine of the fish kill. I was shooting 35mm slides at that time in my life. I'd have to scan to slides. I've got many years of hunting and fishing trips on slides. If I ever get any spare time, I'll make that a project.

Did you ever go to Kona. I thought I remember you posting a while back that you were going to the big island. Me and the wife are thinking of giving each other a New Year's Eve trip to Kona as our Christmas gift to each other. We did that a couple of years ago and I was only allowed to fish for two days.

Mrbill,
    Snowbirds are a pain in the arse. They are always looking for a bargin and in my way. They drive slow, walk slow and don't quit asking questions. They come down with a dollar and leave with 50 cents. They are always lurking around the docks and fish cleaning stations waiting to scoop up the fish carcases to make soup. They want to borrow your tools and aren't afraid to ask to go fishing. They never offer to pay for fuel. They want to use all your equipment and take all the fish while your cleaning the boat. And to top it off, they eat and drink all your food and booze. I consider them a pest. Maybe I should carry around a can of "Raid" to get rid of them.

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ksong,
    Did you ever go to Kona. I thought I remember you posting a while back that you were going to the big island. Me and the wife are thinking of giving each other a New Year's Eve trip to Kona as our Christmas gift to each other. We did that a couple of years ago and I was only allowed to fish for two days.

Yes, I am going with my family for a week during Christmas Holidays.
    As MrBill recommends Kauai, I am changing my schedule to stay in Kauai a few days also. :) I am looking for a hotel or condo in northside of Kauai Island as I am told they can catch Ulua (Giant Trevally) from the shore there. :)

16. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Kauai is great. It's the oldest island. The lava has turned red on the island and the dirt is red. The North shore can be rough. That is where all the surfers hang out because of the big swells. It also is the wet side of the island. You cannot drive the perimeter of the island as a big canyon makes it impossible.

The wettest place on earth is in Kauai. (On top of a peak) The annual rainfall is about 500 inches per year. I've been there twice and it was raining both times.

I caught a few Ulua on the north shore near a lighthouse with a guide about 10 years ago. Can't remember his name. He was cheap. I met him accidently while asking for directions. Next thing I know, I'm climbing down a cliff to some rocks at surf level. He supplied the equipment and poppers and only wanted a 100 dollar bill for his efforts. Those lava rocks can tear up your shoes. We were using 12' two piece poles. Hope your in good shape.

17. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

The penalties for snagging ought to be harsh. The only thing that bugged me is that a lot of folks picked up the fish which were already dead in the shallows to take home and eat. And game wardens were actively targeting those people and passing out heavy tickets. Game wardens do a good job and I am very glad we have them, but sometimes they can be really %^&$*#.

I spent a week in deer camp north of Victoria during that '83 freeze. First time in my life I was able to walk on a stock tank. In Houston, one of the big water mains which was above ground, broke like a drinking straw.

18. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

The freeze that we had in 1983 was so cold that the water near Oso Bay was frozen. People were not snagging trout as much as netting them. The fish were near death and in such a stupor, people just scooped them up with a net. It was 13 degrees for many days in a row.

Brrrrrr......almost froze the nads off that year.