700H vs 700XH

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Mitchw123456, May 13, 2008.

1. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I'm trying to decide which blank to choose that would be paired with a Torque 300 spooled with 80# JB. The rod would mostly be used for jigging purposes but being able to cast poppers and bottom fish with it would be nice. After doing a little searching on this site some say it will withstand 30#'s of drag and some say no. Anybody have any pics of them loaded up? So if it were your money going to it which would you choose?

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have three of them--one 700XH spinner and one-each 700H spinner-conventional and spinner. I have not used either much, but here is what I know about them:

1. Either will handle 30 pounds of drag with ease. The 700XH will handle 45--no joke--I have pulled on it with a Twinspin until I thought my liver was going to pull lose from my spine.

2. I don't notice much difference in casting distance between the two, but I am not too wonderful at casting. But I do know this (and I mentioned it to someone earlier in a PM (may have been you): On our Venice trip last July, Captain Eddie saw a yellowfin bust out from the boat quite a ways off. he grabbed the nearest spinner--which happened to be my 700XH with the Twinspin and 80 pound braid with a Tuna Hunter Junior tied on the leader. The TH Junior is a very light popper. But Eddie, using a rod he had presumably never tried before, did a quick little dipsy doodle cast that looked like it went a mile--well over 200 feet and probably more like 240. So the rod will cast even a light lure if you know what you are doing.

3. gimmedeal (Fred) could give you a better assessment than I because he has fought a 50 pound or so YFT on this rod and made it look easy.

4. I have heard that the rod is too much for the average man but that it has "...brutal fish lifting power." Don't know where I read that--but that is the reason why I had to have one. :)

5. I agree with snagged. I would go for the heavier of the two rods. If you compare rods to motor vehicles, the 700H would be a Humvee and the 700XH would be a tank retriever.

Russ

4. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

WHO MAKES THE 700XH ?

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

WHO MAKES THE 700XH ?

Its a calstar graphfiter blank, you can have one custom wrapped or buy one through some of the online tackle stores. Charkbait sells them Calstar

d-a

6. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I'm trying to decide which blank to choose that would be paired with a Torque 300 spooled with 80# JB. The rod would mostly be used for jigging purposes but being able to cast poppers and bottom fish with it would be nice. After doing a little searching on this site some say it will withstand 30#'s of drag and some say no. Anybody have any pics of them loaded up? So if it were your money going to it which would you choose?

How much drag are you going to use and what type/size of jigs?

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I will definitely have the 700XH spinner on the Big E July trip and if anyone is interested in either of the 700H s, I will bring them along for you to fish with and try out. I forgot to mention that these Accurate rods have SIC guides, whereas I think Calstars do not. Subject to txseadog's judgment, I think these guides are the way to go.

Russ

8. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

UNCLE RUSS,I WOULD LIKE TO TRY OUT THE 700XH IF I MAY

9. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

JUST CHECKED OUT CHARKBAIT----$360

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Absolutely, Gres. I have no problem lending tackle to folks. The damned stuff is supposed to catch fish and my stuff doesn't get much action.

Russ

11. Mitchw123456

How much drag are you going to use and what type/size of jigs?

I plan on using 20-25#s of drag

12. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I plan on using 20-25#s of drag

IMO, that is the very upper end of the sweet spot of a 700h so you might be better off with the 700XH or even the 765ML.

13. Mitchw123456

thanks for the advice guys, I just sent the email to my builder to go with the 700XH

14. ambermax

ambermax Member

in what differs offshore series from tuna series?

in what differs 700H from 760L, only lenght?

I love to jig with the shorther, moderate action, soft tip rod is possible, I'm looking, for yellowfin tunas, (I hope under 200lbs, with a stella 20000 and spectra 80lb) 755H-XH-XXH... I'm looking right?

my tipical drag may be 18-20lb...

or iti is sufficient the 760L I'm going to built?