7-14 Success in the bottom of the Ninth

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Albiemanmike, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

To say I am tired right now would be a huge understatement so I will post the full report later as I have to find some way of going to work now after being up for over 24 hrs. straight and getting 7 hours sleep before having to go to work again.

Bare facts:

BFT
    CC Bay late afternoon
    Fish were pushing on top and finicky as hell but persistence pays off
    Lure: 12" Sluggo rigged weightless w/Excalibur offset bass-style hook (this damn hook continues to amaze me)
    Length: 68" CFL
    Girth: 46 1/8"
    Weight: 165 (gutted at home some time later on a certified scale for those non-believers in the crowd)
    TTD (time to deck): 15 min. flat timed :eek:
    Rod: OTI Tuna Sniper 8'6"
    Reel: Shimano Saragosa 18000 w/stock drag NO PROBLEM but i may need to replace them now......:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last shot is specifically for TJ I know he would enjoy the free plug.....;) Full details when I come out of this sleep deprived stupor.

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Mike ... as luck would have it after I packed and was heading out my trip was cancelled. UGHHHHHH congrats on a great fish

3. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Albiemanmike,
    That is an excellent fatty right there.

Great pictures!!! of the fish and the tackle.

Did you bleed him out in the water? I just ask because thats what i do.

4. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike,
    That is an excellent fatty right there.

Great pictures!!! of the fish and the tackle.

Did you bleed him out in the water? I just ask because thats what i do.

I normally bleed these fish immediately right in the boat as I have some big scuppers that allow the blood to run right out but this fish was DEAD literally when I got him to the boat. It got tail wrapped at the very end and came up tail first and wasn't moving at all. We turned it around and it never moved again. Getting it into the boat was a real dog and pony show between me and my buddie Derrick who is strong as an OX. Big fish that I didn't realize the size of until we slapped it onto the deck.:eek:

5. Albiemanmike

Mike ... as luck would have it after I packed and was heading out my trip was cancelled. UGHHHHHH congrats on a great fish

Glen,
    did miss you out there but in reality you didn't miss much. All the action was very late in the day and it was all fish breezing or pushing on top which is maddening but fun as you never know which fish is going to break from the school and whack your offering. Hundreds of schools of these fish very late in the day with nary a boat in site after 4:45 pm.

On another note I got verbally abused by a stick boat Capt. for supposedly "ruining the fishery" and "Go back to CT. and fish for striped bas you A-hole" not a nice guy and totally not called ofr as I was no where near him when this all happened he came steaming into the fish we were on. Funny thing was the pod we were on only had like 10-12 fish in it.

6. cbaker77

cbaker77 Site Sponsor

Congrats Mike. Luckily we got our fish first thing in the morning but we didnt see another fish until after 2. Probably the same fish you found because there were tons of them.

7. Albiemanmike

Congrats Mike. Luckily we got our fish first thing in the morning but we didnt see another fish until after 2. Probably the same fish you found because there were tons of them.

That is an understatement. We saw so many schools of fish pushing on the surface in the afternoon it was nuts. getting them to eat was another story as usual but I have found that if you keep at them and keep throwing stuff into their face sooner or later one of them will get lit up and crash your offering. I do believe that throwing the rubber at them when they are breezing is an advantage, not sure why but we threw a lot of hardware at them without and interest but as soon as I threw some rubba at em' they got interested immediately.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

female tuna love rubba'

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Congratulations. you maximized your chance as bites are in short period of time early in the morning or late afternoon.

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Wow, thats a hell of a fish!! congrats!

11. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Congrats !!!! That's a sweet fish and great pics,

12. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Now thats a beauty!

If cape may weather doesnt hold up, I'm headed to CC this weekend!

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Congratulations

14. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

Awesome...some sushi for a while....

dale

15. Albiemanmike

Well many thanks to everyone for the kind words. It is my biggest tuna to date and was an awesome experience to be able to land a large fish like this with the spinning gear.

The Story:

Well I went to bed at 10:30 Monday night. Plan was to be up at 1:00 am.
    Got up at 12:45 am. and got everything together. Got the boat loaded and went to pickup my partner. On the road at 1:30 am. Got to the ramp about 5:00 am. from CT. 3 hour drive.....UGH! which I really despise but if you want tuna you gotta do it.

We launched the boat in Plymouth and headed out into the bay to check the mid bay first. Nothing seen so we pressed on further south and east. Got around Race Pt. and did some looking but nothing seen or marked. So we pressed on south. Headed towards PH and found really nothing to get excited about. So I get the binocs out and start scanning the water. I find a motherlode of birds and whales out several miles east. So we head out in that direction. Got to the party and it was birds galore and whales feeding in teams of 3-4. It was awesome to see the teamwork they put into their feeding. They would come up 4 at a time all of the mouths open just gulping down every sand eel in existence. But alas there was no tuna in attendance. We hung around for several hours trying some jigs and top waters in hopes there was a tuna around but nothing happened. So I talked to Capt. Dom and he is way south of us and doing the same. So I headed further south just to see if there was anything between him and us. Nothing! So now I have to make a decision??? So I decide to head back north towards the bay. We found the sand eels again but there were just bass blasting them and no tuna. My buddie caught a large bass jigging and we headed towards the bay.

We got out off of Wood End and the bay was a mill pond. Could see for miles and there was a decided lack of action. So we eat some lunch. We had seen several stick boats heading easterly while eating so I got the binocs out and looked out towards the bank. I see a couple of stick boats several miles out and they are out on the pulpit. So I headed out in that general direction. I got on scene but kept my distance of the stick boats. We found a small pod of tuna pushing on top so I eased the boat quietly into casting range. Just as we are getting ready to cast here comes a stick boat steaming at full throttle right at us. Now this guy was pretty far off from us like 1/2 mi. so I was a little shocked??? So we throw casts at the fish and come up empty and they immediately sound. Well the stick boat guy comes up to us and just goes off??? He is yelling and swearing at me??? Telling us to go back to CT. and striper fish. He goes on to say that we Recs have ruined the fishery and now the fish are way too skittish because of us??? Well it took me by surprise as I didn't think I did anything wrong??? So I had a few words with the guy but he didn't like what I had to say so he continued. Anyway I just told him to have a nice day and moved on. In truth he really did not want to tangle with my buddie Derrick as he is not aguy you want to play with. He has been a tree guy all of his life and is strong as an OX and used to in his younger days beat people up just for fun when he drank too much. So I was confident there was nothing to worry about. We went our seperate ways and followed hundreds of schools of sih around the rest of the afternoon. At 4:15 we come up to nice school of fish and we both throw ahead of them. My cast is a little too close to the lead fish so as soon as it hit the water I started reeling and working the sluggo like a popper on top. I see this fish turn and just inhale the sluggo! Game ON! He went deep and stopped just violently shaking his head. Did this for about 15 secs and then realizing he wasn't going to shake the annoyance in his throat turns and goes supersonic. I hold on for dear life and yell to Derrick to get the gimbal plate. He gets it on me and then I ask him to get my Aftco shoulder harness. I get that on and get clipped in and now I can relax. The fish had taken over half the spool of line with 20 lbs. of drag so I reluctantly turned the drag another half turn. I don't normally touch the drag but I was concerned that 20 lbs. wasn't getting it done and being I didn't have any gloves on when I tried to palm the spool all I did was remove layers of skin. So I finally get the fish stopped and Derrick had the boat moving slowly forward. At this point I had him stop and the fish and I were battling each other back and forth. I now know what it is like to fight one of these things with lots of drag, I almost got pulled off my feet several times and thankfully being still somewhat young and strong could offset the enormous pull with my legs. But man these things can really pull and with huge amounts of drag I wasn't ready for the pull. I will be next time...:) I had some issues with the gimbal plate and will be replacing it as it is a cheapo I got off of fleabay. It makes sense to pay for the good stuff and I know why now. I think next time I will also remove the gimbal pin as that seemed to be the biggest problem. When the fish would go right/left the rod would torque the plate and drag it off center of my legs so I had to keep re-centering it. I think either no pic so the rod can move freely in the plate or a swivel gimbal would be a better option.

So the fight continued for a short time. The fish ran at me several times so fast that I thought I lost it 3 times. But I just reeled like hell and got all of the slack out and kept the pressure on. When they go nuclear and come at you there is no way to keep up and you just have to pray...:) So at this point I have 3/4 of my line back and the fish is right under me. I kept tremendous pressure on him and short pumped and reeled like it was my last fish ever. Got the fish to the boat and yelled to Derrick to get the gaff. As he is getting the gaff I have the fish at the gunnel and it is now tail wrapped and motionless. I get it unwrapped and it is done literally. It didn't move an inch and was barely breathing which made landing it much easier. He and I struggled getting it in the boat with the tailer and a gaff but that wasn't working, so we got 2 gaffs in it's head and just heave ho'ed the fish over the gunnel..............SUCCESS GAME OVER!

We continued to fish another 2 hours trying to get Derrick hooked up but the fish were just very finicky and unwilling to really get fired up but it was not for lack of trying as there were literally hundreds of schools of fish all over and just us.

Just a short note to everyone here and the other boards. I love reading everything you all take time to post. It has been extremely instrumental in my success and I thank you all from the heart for the sharing. This is one of the best if not the best boards out there and I hope it stays that way. You don't have the bickering and sniping like elsewhere and that makes this board what it is. I have met several of the members here and to a man you are all top notch and I am happy to have met you and hope to fish with some of you at some point.

CHEERS!

16. Albiemanmike

P.S.
    Some guy's want to know how to be successful and all I can say is dedication and persistence. By the time I got home and got the boat put up and the gear put away and then cleaned the fish it was after 2:00 am. Wed. that made it over 24 hrs. since I started this craziness and still had to get up and go to work at 8:30. Now some of you are lucky enough to live close to the fish so you will not have to put in those kind of hours but to give yourself opportunities you need to be ready to sacrifice whatever it takes to get it done and we do. Although I wonder sometimes if I am stupid for doing this....................:)

17. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Way to go Mike!!! Looks like the new set up performed as well as you could ask it to. I got a tip from someone who fishes Chatham, and had good luck with the red rubbers. You can never have too many different colors on the boat!

Three hours isn't too bad Mike, I have an extra hour tacked on coming from the Litchfield hills. It is still a real looooong day any way you slice it. Where do you get off of 195? I have tried Roheboth or Fall River but the roads all stink on the final approach to Plymouth. We all drink the same kool-aid so it doesn't take much enticing to make the trip. And NO, you're not stupid!!!!!!!!

18. Albiemanmike

Way to go Mike!!! Looks like the new set up performed as well as you could ask it to. I got a tip from someone who fishes Chatham, and had good luck with the red rubbers. You can never have too many different colors on the boat!

Three hours isn't too bad Mike, I have an extra hour tacked on coming from the Litchfield hills. It is still a real looooong day any way you slice it. Where do you get off of 195? I have tried Roheboth or Fall River but the roads all stink on the final approach to Plymouth. We all drink the same kool-aid so it doesn't take much enticing to make the trip. And NO, you're not stupid!!!!!!!!

Eric,
    I have never gone the way you mention so don't know. We always take 195 to 44 across to Plymouth. It is the fastest and shortest route for me.

19. gman

gman Senior Member

You guys have it easy. I drive 4.5 hours from NJ to Green Harbor, then fish 10+ hours, jump in my car and drive 4.5 hours home. LOL thats crazy

last two trips ive done it alone

20. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Hey man, Great story, great read, great fish. I'm really impressed by the amount of ground you covered and the persistence. It seems like you had a lot of confidence in your gear. Congratulations!