7-1/2 ft popping rod blank

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Minnow, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

We are currently working on 7 1/2 ft, 2 piece rod blank, rated for 80lb line.
    Attached picture is our prototype rod blank lifting 20kg weight.

Attached Files:

2. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Nice! Is it a standard 2 piece or the Japanese style I've heard about?

Also when will it be available and roughly how much?

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Feeder,

It's the Japanese style 2-piece blank.
    No price and available date available at this moment.

4. ALW

ALW Senior Member

What does two piece style blank mean?
    Japanese style as well? Skinney Thin graphite?

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

ALW,

I will take some picture this afternoon and post it up.

6. ALW

ALW Senior Member

I have been looking at Calstar 700H and 800H blanks at FTU. How does it compare with these?

7. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

I have been looking at Calstar 700H and 800H blanks at FTU. How does it compare with these?

I use a Calstar 700H for my topwater's and love it.

Don Savage made it for me. (Savage Offshore Rods)

I got it paired with a 20K Stella so I'm sure it has something to do with it.

I'v caught about 15 yft up to 75lbs and came no where close to maxing out the rod.

8. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

ALW,

I have not compare it side by side. I know out prototype blank is lighter, smaller in diameter, 2-piece blank and have slightly slower action compare to Calstar 700H.

9. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Muddskipper: I have an Accurate Calstar 700H with a Stella 20K as well, although I have not yet fished it, I am unable to do justice to its casting ability.

T.J.: Although I have not yet pulled on the rod, and although it is half a foot longer than the 700H with more dead weight than I would dare lift, it definitely seems to bend more deeply into the entire blank. I have been told that the 700H is virtually unbreakable, and I have pulled 30 pounds of drag with it, but I would be terrified to lift 44 pounds with it. I have the 700XH, which many had warned me not to buy as being more dangerous to me than to the fish! I have pulled 38 pounds with it, and it still seemed to bend more in the tip half of the rod than your prototype. Of course, I was not deadlifting but just pulling against a scale.

Russ

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Muddskipper: I have an Accurate Calstar 700H with a Stella 20K as well, although I have not yet fished it, I am unable to do justice to its casting ability.

T.J.: Although I have not yet pulled on the rod, and although it is half a foot longer than the 700H with more dead weight than I would dare lift, it definitely seems to bend more deeply into the entire blank. I have been told that the 700H is virtually unbreakable, and I have pulled 30 pounds of drag with it, but I would be terrified to lift 44 pounds with it. I have the 700XH, which many had warned me not to buy as being more dangerous to me than to the fish! I have pulled 38 pounds with it, and it still seemed to bend more in the tip half of the rod than your prototype. Of course, I was not deadlifting but just pulling against a scale.

Russ

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

For those few of you on this board who have not seen a Japanese 2-piece rod, I have 4 of the Smiths. (I am certain many have fished far more than I have even held in my hands) If the OTI is similar, they separate at the butt. There is a hole in the top of the butt section that looks like hole in a Colt 1911. It is, of course, composite inside, and when you slide the top section in, it goes in several inches and is as smooth as silk.

This rod has deadlifting capabilities like some of the 5 1/2 foot jigging rods. I wonder if it requires a very heavy lure for casting?

Russ

12. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Here is the picture of the 2 piece blank.

Attached Files:

13. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

TJ: That looks like two pieces similar in size--not something that separates at the butt like the Smiths and Carpenters, etc. Am I wrong?

Russ

14. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

It's similar in size. Please see attach pictures is finished rod butt in the center and unfinished butt section on the right

Attached Files:

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

That does make it clearer. So it does separate at the butt. The butt seems to be much longer than the Smith's, so this would be an even better solution for travel. You couldn't put it in the overhead of an airliner I don't suppose, but it would be great for the back seat of even a small car. Don't go digging right now, necessarilty, T.J., but when you get a chance, how short of a rod tube would the finished product fit in?

Russ

16. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Uncle Russ,

The longest part of this blank is 5 ft, so 5 1/2 ft rod tube will be more than enough for it.

17. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Great. If you can keep the price low enough for a compulsive tackle buyer with no money to spend, I might have to have one. Also, one of my friends showed me his two OTI jigging rods tonight and I never dreamed the would be that light. This is getting to be ridiculous. If I buy a couple of those, I may end up using them on specks and reds, for heaven's sake.

Russ

18. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Those rods are serious over kill for specks and reds no matter how light they feel.
    You will find that loading the rod for casting is impossible with speck and redfish sized lures.

19. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

there wont be any fight for specks and reds... its amazing how light the OTI rods are, and the fish they can haul in!!!

20. jeremy airey

jeremy airey Junior member

Hi Guys
    New to your board but this rod might be answer to my GT rod search.
    Would I be right in guessing price similar to other rods in range at under $250 ?
    When is it coming out? I've seen pics. of that rod under 40KG load and if it can live with that sort of abuse then Smiths, Tokara and Carpenters have at last got some serious western competition at about 1/3 the price.
    BTW isit really THAT blue, it made my inner 'tackle tart('ho)' come over all drooly?

regards
    Jeremy

21. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Yep, think I'm gonna have to have one of those.....
    I'm sold on the action & the big comfy foregrip
    not real big on the 2-peice thing though. broke
    too many trout rods, I guess.
    Question: that pic of it holding 44 #'s, is that w/ butt section installed?
    -Brian

22. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Seagull and Ronnie: Understood completely. What I mean is that if I keep buying tackle for big offshore fish, I won't be able to afford tackle for small inshore fish! :)

Russ