360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a cam available that will broaden the drag range of a 665h? I bought one hoping I could use it for light duty trolling (kings and mahi) and bottom fishing for grouper and snapper.

I love the reel, and it will certainly produce some serious drag, but regardless of the preset tension it appears to have a very limited range. I am used to the range on my Internationals and this was my first Accurate purchase, so I didn't know exactly what to expect.

If this reel can't be modified, I'd love to hear some suggestions on a lightweight lever drag that will put out substantial drag for bottom fishing, but can be backed off and still provide a decent range for trolling.

·
781 Posts
Thats been a bane of the magnum series, the twins opted to recurve the drag cam on the Extremes. Call and ask Matt if the extreme cam will fit. If not I used to regrind my cams with pliers and a Harbor Freight grinding wheel.
Wasn't hard to do, but I am fairly mechanicly inclined. If you send me your email I'll send you a photo.

·
969 Posts
I emailed Accurate about this awhile ago. I was told the 665H is a 20lb max drag reel and it was not designed for more. If I wanted up to 30lbs I should get the BX series.

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20lb max drag is a little more than I ever planned on fishing it. I can dial the pre-set to 15lb max but I still have 9-11 lb as soon as I engage the spool.

If I had 15 max and 3 as soon as it went into gear I'd be tickled to death. I can see that this reel, even with it's limited range, is a great fishing reel. That being said, it's probably not suitable for what I wanted.

What, if any, little lever drag can fish 15lb drag, basically a 50lb line reel, but still provide low end drag range that's predictable enough to troll with?

·
1,201 Posts
What, if any, little lever drag can fish 15lb drag, basically a 50lb line reel, but still provide low end drag range that's predictable enough to troll with?

Torsa.

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, those Torsas are sweet! I've handled them but never fished them, I'd definitely like to try one of those babies out.

·
969 Posts
IMO, drag range is rarely discussed, but a critical attribute to a quality lever drag.

When the drag jumps up too quickly, the reel functions like a Star drag, where you have little ability to adjust during the fight. I've had this problem with a few Avets I've used.

My Penn International offshore reels all seem to have excellent range, although for some reason, it varies from reel to reel.

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger that, my 16VSX is a rockstar in terms of range. I have mine set up for 18 at strike, and it puts out less than a pound as soon as it goes into gear. It also has a very smooth progression, so you can finesse a king and still button down and horse in a shark or other undesirable.

·
781 Posts
Seems the Extreme style cam B996 will fit in the older e -series as per George. I will get one tommorow and let ya'll know.

·
781 Posts
I still have not installed the extreme series cam I got yet, although Brandon may have got his back from Accurate in which they were going to install it if I'm not mistaken.

·
453 Posts
it's actually very easy to grind the cam down by hand to get rid of that "hump" that people complain about so bitterly. it's so easy, in fact, that it is a wonder that accurate does not supply an assortment of cams. it would make a great selling point. i'll do a photo shoot when i get some breathing room. stay tuned. alan

·
781 Posts
Thats exactly what I have always done Alan, and I sent Brandon the photos. Accurate said the extreme cam would fit though the one I recieved was warped and being hardened, I was not about to try fixing it.
Can't wait to see the photos, mine were to large to post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts