6'6" Hopper

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by nxtbgctch, Mar 26, 2009.

1. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Does anyone have this rod? I have one of the 5'8" 500g but was thinking of picking up this rod for a multipurpose spinning rig with a saragosa and 65lb braid. Should be under $400 total with line. I love my 500g conventional but casting with it sucks unless you are tossing a 4oz lure. How is the tip on the longer hopper? Does it still have the backbone to handle jigging next to structure? How does it load with 18-20lbs of drag?

2. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

hold on there , you need to call me Casey

Will do.

3. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I have the Hopper 600g 5'8" conventional rod. It has plenty of backbone, however the tip is a bit on the stiff side. I was using 200g to 300g jigs on a tuna charter trip, no major casting required since we were right on top of the tuna. Caught a 50# long fin tuna with ease (my first).

I am also considering getting a lighter Hopper Rod 270g 5'8" matched with a Saltist 40 levelwind (for my non-fishing friends to use this summer on bluefish) or the Barefoot Jigging Rod 250g 5'2" (afraid it might be too short for party boat).

Good luck with your jigging rod choice.

Ty

4. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

OK. So I guess this isn't a very popular blank. I am going to take a look at it at FTU this weekend. Are there any other similar rods out there that have the parabolic action the hoppers do for under $200 around six and half feet? Something in the 250-400g range that would work with 18-20lbs of drag.

Any other suggestions for a mutlipurpose lightweight spinner that would go well with a saragosa 18000?

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I recommend Sea Magic Dragon Fly rods, they have 400g rod for your saragosa 18k @ $160.00:

Dragon Fly Rods

6. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Has anyone used the Penn Torque TJ3080S66 6'6" rated for 30-80lb line?