65 lbs snow grouper

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Mar 2, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

They landed limit catch of snow groupers (one per angler) on Capt Jil Carrie out of Virginia Beach last month. Amazing thing was half of the catches were over 50 lbs and the biggest one was 65 lbs, three ounce shy of world record 68 lbs. 8*
    I might make a snow grouper exploratory jigging trip. :)

[​IMG]

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Were they caught on jig or bait or both?

3. JayP

JayP Member

A buddy of mine caught a 42 lb snowy off of VA last summer, jigging in about 350 feet depth. Looking at pictures like that one above makes me think of the old pictures with guys holding up stringers of 5-10 lb largemouth bass. It seems like the fishery is just becoming popular in the past couple years, with a few records being set recently. I just hope the sudden popularity of the fishery won't ruin it like we have done with so many other species.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Were they caught on jig or bait or both?
    both.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

A buddy of mine caught a 42 lb snowy off of VA last summer, jigging in about 350 feet depth. Looking at pictures like that one above makes me think of the old pictures with guys holding up stringers of 5-10 lb largemouth bass. It seems like the fishery is just becoming popular in the past couple years, with a few records being set recently. I just hope the sudden popularity of the fishery won't ruin it like we have done with so many other species.
    I talked with a commercial grouper fisherman in NC last year.
    He think snowy grouper migrate from NC water to Virginia Water. He said they used to catch lots fo snowy grouper in NC years ago while Virginia had little. Nowaday, Virginia fishermen catch lots of snowy groupers while snowy grouper fishing slow down considerably in NC.

He also said he sees more gag groupers in NC nowadays than ever before while gag groupers in Florida is in trouble. His theory is gag grouper migrate to NC from Florida in recent years. I fished gag grouper a few time last year and I was amazed how many gag groupers we caught in shallow water whenever we went.

6. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

He think snowy grouper migrate from NC water to Virginia Water. He said they used to catch lots fo snowy grouper in NC years ago while Virginia had little. Nowaday, Virginia fishermen catch lots of snowy groupers while snowy grouper fishing slow down considerably in NC.

He also said he sees more gag groupers in NC nowadays than ever before while gag groupers in Florida is in trouble. His theory is gag grouper migrate to NC from Florida in recent years. I fished gag grouper a few time last year and I was amazed how many gag groupers we caught in shallow water whenever we went.

Kil,

The area were we caught Snowy Grouper in NC is closed to all fishing
    this year, they have to find other area that holds snowy's.
    I lost 4-5 big groupers last week:eek: i think they were all Gag's

7. JayP

JayP Member

Interesting. Just tossing out an idea here but perhaps the ocean waters are warming up a degree or two due to global warming or a shift in the Gulf Stream? It would make sense from what he said about grouper moving northward, anyway. I caught a cobia off of Chincoteague VA last year and Donna (bait shop owner and a native of the island) said she had never seen one that far north, although from what I understand cobia hang out around the mouth of the Bay which is only a little south. With the exception of this year, the past several winters have been milder than any time I can remember (especially last year). I'm pretty new to offshore fishing but I wonder how much local climate affects offshore water temps (vs. proximity to the Gulf Stream) and if it does affect it, how much impact the the colder winter this year will likely have on this year's fishing.

8. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

the groupers in that pic are nice, but that 1 tilefish in the middle is an absolute beast!