360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

600 lbs porbeagle shark landed

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  thenewkid 
#1 ·
A giant porbeagle shark estimated at 600 lbs by measurement was caught by free gaffing on the Helen H out of Hyannis, Cape Cod while cod fishing.
If the shark had been caught by rod and reel, it could have been a new record. Porbeagle is a kind of cold water mako.

#17 ·
guys kill and harvest threshers on yaks all over the west coast as they are an inshore shark frequently caught within a mile of shore. Thresher are actually pretty calm once they are boatside as they spend themselves while fighting. The tail is the dangerous part, they actually have really small mouths. There is a DVD called thresher yak style which was funny they troll big rapalas from the yaks.

The one guys fish circled another guy who was hooked up and his #4 trebel and lure got impaled in his chin. They had to cut it out while in the yak LOL it looked like it hurt...alot

#18 ·
No, threshers are in the Alopiidae family. Lamnidae is the family mackerel sharks belong too. The breakdown for Lamnidaes is as follows:

Famliy: Lamnidae

Genus: Charcharodon

Specie: Great White

Genus: Isurus

Specie: Short Mako
Longfin Mako

Genus: Lamna

Specie: Salmon Shark
Porbeagle Shark

#19 ·
He didn't kill it. It was released. I will try to find the post this evening when I have time.
The story I read in the magazine had a picture of this guy and his buddies with 3 Salmon sharks they killed. I think I remember them using some sort of harpoon.

That Porbeagle looks just like a mako, just shorter, fatter and with less-gnarly teeth. Sweet looking predator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.